PDA

View Full Version : a foot user! AND....a name!

Pips mom
08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, it looks as if Rudy has won in the poles! Thank you guys for all chosing one and giving your opinions! Hey at least with Rudy, if it does turn out to be a girl, then Rudy works for a girl too!
What I noticed today with him is that he uses his foot! His left foot! He's left footed! My Ivy girl uses her feet to eat things and play with foot toys and she uses her right foot! I used to see Pip use his foot to hold onto things when playing with something.....but only set his foot on it while on a surface, and he never even does that anymore or try to use his feet. I saw Rudy pick up the piece of millet and move it with his foot, set it down and then hold onto it again. I have been wondering now for some time why his millet pieces always end up on the bottom of the cage when I give him a nice big, open dish to put it in so he can eat it without it falling, but nope, it always goes to the bottom.....now I know why! because he's picking it up and moving it and trying to eat it with his foot!
He has also chewed all the chewing parts off of his toy that I made him, so now I have to replace those. I really have to get him on video using his foot.....but for now, camera is out of order until I can get new batteries. The ones I have are getting old and I charged them and they only work for like ten minutes and then die! and when trying to use video it just shuts right off! so when I get new batteries, I'll catch him using his foot with his millet!

CompassionAk
08-27-2009, 03:39 PM
I adore the name Rudy and I just love when birds use their feet, it's just so darn cute!!The only bird I have that sort of uses his foot is Oscar my parrotlet,he doesn't really use his foot to hold stuff tho because he hasn't figured out how yet.He'll stick his foot out like he's trying to grab for something but then he just wiggles it about in the air and never actually grabs anything lol.

LovelySydney
08-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Yea for Rudy!!!:rofl: Im so excited you picked a name finally!! Rudy is adorable and you are right, it goes both ways!! I have never seen a bird eat with their feet until I got Neko - I just thought it was thee cutest thing ever!!

FuzzyAga
08-30-2009, 10:00 AM
A foot user! I've never seen a lovie use his foot as a tool. My Juanita will hold down (try to) something with her foot as she's eating it, but that's about it.

Oh, she will use the front of her bib to manuever a sunflower seed as she's cracking it open. She'll take her seed, tuck her head downward and use the front of her bib as a stabilizer as she attacks the seed with her beaks and tongue.

Petey will take the sunflower seed to a flat surface, lay it there and push against the seed to get leverage enough to open it.

My cousin has an Amazon who freely uses his foot to hold his food. I love to give him a long piece of string bean, just to watch him eat it. He eats just the little seeds inside. Oddly, he uses his left foot. :)

Bubblelady
08-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Hello, Rudy! Aren't you the smart little birdie? Gussie was 100% right-footed as a baby, & still prefers her right foot, but sometimes uses her left foot now. I'm a lefty myself, so I know us lefties are really the only ones who are in our right minds :rofl: (pun intended)

HaleBoppPeachyluv
08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
^^heheheh.....

My maka was the first lovie i ever had that used his feet to grab stuff. i thought it was so clever & hilarious. Funny enough, sunnybird will use her feet occasionally too.