PDA

View Full Version : taming 7 month old lovies

klyn
09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Hello everyone!
My family and I just got two lovebirds 7 mos. (one female and one male.. we think). They came from a pet store that closed down and they had to get rid of them fast! We have had parakeets before but these are our first lovebirds. I know that they need lots of attention and I was wondering if they are more particular to one person. In the house now it is my mom, dad, and I. We have all been trying to familiarize ourselves with them but Im afraid that the variety it people might be making them nervous.
These birds were not handfed at this pet store either so they get super nervous even when we bring our hands near the cage. How long should we wait before we start introducing our big scary hands into the cage to begin a taming process?
Sorry my post is so long! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Kellie

LoveBug12
09-01-2009, 08:41 PM
When I first bought my first lovebird, he was handfed but I didn't hold him alot because he needed to get used to me first. It took about a week for him to get used to me and for him to be more comfortable in the new surroundings. So, maybe wait about a week or two and they may feel a little bit more comfortable :). They aren't handfed so maybe putting your hand up to the cage might scare them because they might think you are going to hurt them or something like that.. Hope I helped!

-Katelyn

aru
09-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Before putting the monster-hands in, try sitting next to the cage and reading aloud to them. It sounds silly, but they'll get used to hearing your voice quicker this way.

Chickobee
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Patience will be the key to getting these birds tamed, and time spent with them every single day will really pay off.

If their wings are not clipped you may want to do that or have it done because it will make working with them way easier. The chase and capture scenarios with untame flighted birds have got to be stressful for the birds. There are excellent instructions in the Resource Library section.

Sitting next to them while you read or do other activities is a good thing. It also helps to have their cage located in a part of your house with family activities (but not the kitchen) so they can get used to their new flock -- you and your family.

Millet is a great training tool, so I would save it for that, and don't offer it in the cage. Then the birds may be brave and come toward you to get bites of it and eventually to step onto your hand.

Take baby steps, and let the birds retreat when they are scared back to the safety in their cage. Any small progress is a good thing, and always offer praise when they do anything you want them to do.

Please read about the dangers to pet birds, such as teflon cookware, ceiling fans, open doors, toxic plants, etc. There is so much good information on this website in the Resource Library and the threads on various topics.

I hope you love your birds as much as we do ours!

Welcome to the forum. :)