PDA

View Full Version : Freyja's Gender

Enko_chan
09-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I should be getting the e-mail results very soon.

In the mean time, Freyja has taken up the mantle of "top" bird in the relationship. She and Odinn have been mating like crazy the past few days, with Freyja very successfully being the MOUNTER!

Now, they both tuck, but poorly and the stuff just falls out. Odinn is a known hump-a-holic. Freyja acts like a nesty hen from time to time, but no eggs despite their mating- around that time, occasionally with Freyja on top, other times with Odinn on top. When I gave them a nest box, they treated it like a club house...

yet Freyja really does act like a hen most of the time. I've had many lovebird pairs. I only began questioning when Linda told us about how Sunni so completely fooled her!

I was really certain Freyja was female, but now I'm not so sure. Can you wait to find out? I can't!

michael
09-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Lets have a vote!..........:)

I say she's a girl waiting for someone to open the clubhouse door for her.

linda040899
09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I was really certain Freyja was female,So was I!!!! I know my pair has the ability to produce males but I've never gotten any......until now it seems! In fact, finding male Creaminos is usually like mission impossible because most breeding pairs are not set up properly to produce anything but hens.

Believe me. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I checked Cleo's eggs and found a fertile one! I really thought I just had 2 hens that got along exceptionally well and I was planning to give both birds different partners when I wanted to breed them. As it stands now, Cleo is green series and Sunni is blue series. Cleo is not split for blue, so first generation will be all green/blue. I don't know that I won't get any visual Opalines from these 2, as Cleo is a visual and Sunni may be split.

Just checked the nest where I fostered Cleo and Sunni's fertile egg and it should be hatching within the next 48 hrs. I'm not seeing any pipping but it's drawing down very nicely. I will be hand feeding the baby, as the nest has 5 fertile lovebird eggs in it. This is the same hen that hatched the baby Tiel.

Lets have a vote!..........:)Male. With all the mating going on, Freyja should have laid eggs by now.

personatus
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I have 2 cocks i bought from last year. Both were sold as cocks from an established breeder, both were also seen mating with other female birds, in the typical male format. Both have just laid their first clutches of eggs..haha...i give up on sexing birds based on anything except proven young or dna testing! haha!

michael
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Could we have two females?.........:whistle:

Chickobee
09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I have two females who act like a bonded pair....

Enko_chan
09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Two females?!!

Oh geez. I've never seen a female bird hump things the way Odinn does. I've seen female birds hump a little, but Odinn is really something else- humped off all of his crotch feathers.

Previous to this week, Freyja only tried humping Odinn, and it never really worked out- she'd try and try and try, but only he would hump her successfully and then stopped when the "humpy" fleece obsession came around. Its only recently that Freyja started successfully humping Odinn, and HOW!

Anyway, these two birds love each other so much. There's no rivalry, they just love on each other all the time. Like any other male-female or male-male pair I've ever seen. I don't have any experience with female-female pairs, always avoided that dynamic.

It doesn't make a difference to me what gender they are, I love them as they are and don't expect chicks from them. I am very curious though! I know lovebird behavior can be ambiguous, but I've never been so certain! I just wrote off the little things...

What do you think, Linda? Should I DNA them both?

LovelySydney
09-08-2009, 07:13 PM
LOL oh boy I hope not two females - but you never know with lovebirds!! I cant wait to find out the results!