PDA

View Full Version : Naughty bird.

Mydoona
09-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Mardi just wouldn't go into the cage tonight and wouldn't get off the birdy gym,I lowered the lights (when they are lowered she usually goes back in the cage) and she still wouldn't move, so I left her up there all night, is this ok to do?
I have to go to bed and don't want to force her into the cage if she doesn't want to go in.
She is usually up in the morning before me anyway and on the gym.
They have both found a way to open the side door of the cage and I haven't locked it incase they fight in there and one can't escape.
am I doing the right thing?
There is nothning in the room that can hurt them as they are out 90% of the day flying around the room and various playgyms I have set up...and only go into the cage to feed or drink and to sleep. (oh I made sure I left a bowl of water out for Mardi near the playgym so if she was thirsty she could have a drink).

Chickobee
09-10-2009, 08:40 AM
If your bird room has a door that you can shut and the entire room is safe for them I don't see any reason why you couldn't leave them out on their playgym.

My sister had lovebirds who were escape artists too. One night when she got up to use the bathroom she stepped on something in the dark hallway and didn't think anything of it. In the morning she discovered she had killed one of her birds...

Your bird cages provide a safe place for your birds and it is their home.

As a general rule cages designed for finches and parakeets are not the best choice for lovebirds. As you have already discovered, lovebirds can open the small lift-up doors and escape. Their beaks are also much stronger so they can eventually damage the painted surface of the cage bars and possibly ingest paint.

If you are using one of these cages you will want to inspect it frequently for damage and replace it if the paint is chipping. You can secure the doors when you want your birds to stay inside, but be careful to choose something that cannot catch a foot, beak, or toenail and injure your birds.

You also mentioned that your birds fight. It is possible that you have two hens and it may be necessary to cage them separately as they reach sexual maturity. It is most often not possible to cage two mature hens together and can be fatal for the less dominant bird.

Have your birds been DNA tested to determine their sexes? My first two birds were clutch mates. We had to separate them when they began seriously fighting and did DNA tests. That's when we learned that we had two females.

It sounds as if your birds have an entire room with lots of places to play. They must like it better than a small cage.

Pips mom
09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I know alot of people caution against leaving a bird out of cage, AND I know there are alot of safety issues with leaving a bird out. With Pip, I had always let him sleep out of his cage on a little platform that hangs on the side and I'd cover over the area with a blanket. I know Pip and he stays put once he's asleep. Thing is lovies tend to get up earlier in the am than the other birds, but luckily with Pip he heads straight for the other birds and once he got up, he'd go right to Ivy's cage and sleep up underneath her cage cover until I uncovered cages. Now that I've moved my birds into a bird room, things have changed and you'd think it would be safer, but I find that Pip wanders out of there in the mornings sometimes and I am afraid of him getting stepped on, SOooo I either close the door or make him sleep in cage!

thebubbleking
09-18-2009, 02:41 PM
also fids have been known to land where you are sleeping to snuggle and sleep with you and if you roll over or whatnot bad news.
I personaly make sure they sleep in thier cage and all thier dooprs i put clips or twine knots to secure the doors.

michael
09-18-2009, 05:24 PM
.......They have both found a way to open the side door of the cage and I haven't locked it incase they fight in there and one can't escape........

Having a bird remain free from the confines of their cage during the night certainly is questionable. None the less, if this is found to be acceptable, at the very least, it should be in a room that has no access to any other areas of the home, especially those occupied by others who have retired for the night. Another risk worth looking into is in the case of fire. Last thing you need to do is spend precious time looking for loose bird/s, when you may have little or no time left for escape.

What type of cage doors do your birds escape from? ...... While parrots may easily slip through those sliding type (guillotine) doors, should a wing or foot get caught, things could lead to disaster or even death. Also, any door whether sliding or not does NOT provide a reasonable escape route should a bird become cornered by an aggressor. ....Although in the human mind we may already know the door is the quickest way out, from a parrots perspective, that mental option may not even exist........:)

LovelySydney
09-19-2009, 01:59 PM
My Gus used to sleep outside his cage. At first I would put him back in always to be safe but once he was in a room where nothing else was and I knew he couldnt get into trouble or be stepped on I let him sleep out on the perch on the outside of his cage. He never strayed from that spot and he'd be right there in the morning. However, if you have a bird like my Neko who likes to be wherever mommy is and has somewhat of birdy ADD than I would keep your bird in the cage at night. If you arent 100% positive she will stay on the cage than better safe than sorry. Dont want to have any accidents.