PDA

View Full Version : Considering getting a bigger sized bird..what is the best breed?

LoveBug12
09-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm thinking about getting a bird a little larger than a lovebird. I know about the green cheeked conures and sun conures but is there any bird that is a little smaller than that breed? Green Cheeked conures don't seem to be that big, but I don't know if I can afford a large cage. There is so many birds to look at and I just want to know which kind is not very big, or loud and one that is nice :).

NickyBeth
09-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Parrotlets might just be your answer here. They are slightly smaller than lovebirds, but they don't have the longer tailfeathers that indeed need the longer cage.

They are quite a fiesty bird in a small body, but they can be sweeties. They are also temperamental like lovebirds, though -- you can't make them like you if they don't want to.

I know on that list I sent you, there are quite a few parrotlet breeders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrotlet

Enko_chan
09-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I LOVE my parrotlet and quaker parrot!! NickyBeth is absolutely right. If you want the big bird spirit in miniature form, the parrotlet is your best bet. Parrotlets are the smallest member of the Amazon family. If you look at photos of both birds you can see the resemblance. Benny has many Amazon traits, including this unmistakable look in his eyes! My Benny is a feisty little creature but has a loving side that more than matches his aggressive side. He has very particular preferences, if things are not 100% his way, he learns how to let me know. Its amazing how well this bird can communicate. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what it is that's bothering him, but his appreciative reaction brings me to tears sometimes. He's small enough to sit on my hand and play thumb-wars with me, Ben being the other thumb, yet there is so much spirit and personality, intelligence and love in that little body... its amazing that such a tiny, fragile creature can have such perfect love and trust for a big, clumsy oaf like me!

Quakers are extremely clever birds. Peruse the quaker parrot forum if you want to get some ideas about what these wonderful characters are like. quakerparrot.com has a forum and lots of academic articles on the quaker parrot. My Kokoro is the most gentle bird I've ever had. He's a big snuggle bug. He is only my second QP and he is still a baby- and the first was geriatric and had been abused, so it remains to be seen how he develops into an adult bird... but I'd put money on it that he will never lay a beak on me in anger. He already knows how to nod affirmitavely to answer "yes" and to shake his head to say "no". He had similar baby gestures that weren't meaningful in such a way, but he learned how to use them to communicate. He's an early talker, already says several words and phrases. When he gets older, I expect that like many quaker parrots, he'll learn how to use words and phrases to communicate, even learn a little basic grammar, and be able to sing tunes- even make up original tunes and put his phrases into them! Our old quaker Oliver was quite the little songwriter. Unfortunately, due to their cleverness, hardiness, and incredible ability to adapt, they are able to live in the wild, at least for a time, when they escape or are deplorably set free from their parront's homes- and their propensity for building large and heavy nests, up to 40 qp's (and occasionally other birds and small animals) will have "apartments" in these nests- which are often built atop utlity poles. For this reason, they're considered a nuisance and are illegal in many states... so check on the laws before you get your hopes up about this breed.

GCC are one of the quieter conures and the tame ones can have really wonderful personalities. If I were to have one more bird in that size range, it would be GCC- or a wc pionus! You'll get better info on them by the folk in this forum who have had one in the past decade. I'm afraid my Chester passed many years ago from neglect of a bird sitter.

LoveBug12
09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the responses! I was watching youtube videos on GCC's and they seem so sweet!

bookworm0550
09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
What about a tiel? They are cute and not too big

Flapjack
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Gcc, Painted, Crimson Bellied, etc. are wonderful birds!

Eliza
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Today's taxonomy lesson: parrots are designated by genus & species -- not breed :)

If you want something around the same size as a lovebird, parrotlets (a bit smaller) and lineolated parakeets (a bit bigger) are nice options. Both are usually quieter than the average lovebird and are amazing little characters.

If you want a bit bigger, cockatiels are pretty amazing, too. Very pretty and a bit more laid back than your average lovebird.

Brotogeris parakeets (aka bee bee parrots or pocket parrots) might be of interest to you... assuming you can find one! Canary-winged (aka yellow-cheveroned) parakeets are the most readily available; you can sometimes find white-winged and orange-chinned parakeets, too. Brotos are a hoot but I am biased as I share my home with a golden-winged parakeet. He's smaller than a conure, bigger than a parrotlet and personality & vocalization-wise, somewhere in between. In fact, he's just a bit bigger than a peach-faced lovebird (weighs the same but is longer). PLAYFUL little bugger: eats with his feet, says a few words, hangs upside down like a bat -- great little guy.

Pyrrhura conures (green-cheeked conures, black-capped, etc.) are HILARIOUS little buggers. Cheekies in particular are very popular and readily available. They even come in various mutations, including some rather stunning "blue" varieties (turquoise and cinnamon turquoise).

Poicephalus parrots are also something to consider... Senegals, Meyer's and red-bellieds are quite common and have a devoted following amongst there owners.

And there is always the option of another lovebird ;)

If you are concerned about affording another (larger) cage, take your time while researching different parrot species AND saving money. You'll want to be sure that you have access to funds for veterinary care (both routine yearly exams + bloodwork and ER expenses) and day-to-day expenses (food, toys, etc.).

Best of luck!

LoveBug12
09-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Today's taxonomy lesson: parrots are designated by genus & species -- not breed :)

If you want something around the same size as a lovebird, parrotlets (a bit smaller) and lineolated parakeets (a bit bigger) are nice options. Both are usually quieter than the average lovebird and are amazing little characters.

If you want a bit bigger, cockatiels are pretty amazing, too. Very pretty and a bit more laid back than your average lovebird.

Brotogeris parakeets (aka bee bee parrots or pocket parrots) might be of interest to you... assuming you can find one! Canary-winged (aka yellow-cheveroned) parakeets are the most readily available; you can sometimes find white-winged and orange-chinned parakeets, too. Brotos are a hoot but I am biased as I share my home with a golden-winged parakeet. He's smaller than a conure, bigger than a parrotlet and personality & vocalization-wise, somewhere in between. In fact, he's just a bit bigger than a peach-faced lovebird (weighs the same but is longer). PLAYFUL little bugger: eats with his feet, says a few words, hangs upside down like a bat -- great little guy.

Pyrrhura conures (green-cheeked conures, black-capped, etc.) are HILARIOUS little buggers. Cheekies in particular are very popular and readily available. They even come in various mutations, including some rather stunning "blue" varieties (turquoise and cinnamon turquoise).

Poicephalus parrots are also something to consider... Senegals, Meyer's and red-bellieds are quite common and have a devoted following amongst there owners.

And there is always the option of another lovebird ;)

If you are concerned about affording another (larger) cage, take your time while researching different parrot species AND saving money. You'll want to be sure that you have access to funds for veterinary care (both routine yearly exams + bloodwork and ER expenses) and day-to-day expenses (food, toys, etc.).

Best of luck!

Wow the Meyer, Senegal and Red Bellied are very pretty. Can I just have them all? haha :rofl:

FuzzyAga
09-11-2009, 07:45 PM
One of our forum members, Flip, recently adopted a Red-Bellied. You can read about her new parrot in "He's Home!" Her posting date is August 31, 2009.

The parrots sounds like like a sweetie.

Bubblelady
09-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Best of luck!

Wise words! If about $100 for a cage large enough for a GCC is a problem, then a second bird of ANY species, including another lovie, is probably not a good idea. It is the on-going expenses of caring for a bird that will get you :omg: Side bar, Quakers are illegal in California :(

LoveBug12
09-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Wise words! If about $100 for a cage large enough for a GCC is a problem, then a second bird of ANY species, including another lovie, is probably not a good idea. It is the on-going expenses of caring for a bird that will get you :omg: Side bar, Quakers are illegal in California :(

I definitely could buy another cage for a lovebird..I may stick to just getting another lovebird and maybe in the future, I will get a conure. At this time, I think I could only care for another lovebird and I believe it would be cheaper then getting a conure also.

linda040899
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
As the owner of 7 larger parrots, I will be the first one to tell you that the larger the bird, the bigger the mess! They also require a lot of attention and supervision. The beak of a larger parrot is much more destructive than that of a smaller one and I'm constantly re-directing mine towards objects that they can legally destroy. With a larger parrot, that wooden toy you just paid $20.00 can be reduced to a pile of toothpicks with a couple of days!!! Sometimes it doesn't even take that long.....

LoveBug12
09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
As the owner of 7 larger parrots, I will be the first one to tell you that the larger the bird, the bigger the mess! They also require a lot of attention and supervision. The beak of a larger parrot is much more destructive than that of a smaller one and I'm constantly re-directing mine towards objects that they can legally destroy. With a larger parrot, that wooden toy you just paid $20.00 can be reduced to a pile of toothpicks with a couple of days!!! Sometimes it doesn't even take that long.....

You see, and biting might be an issue, lol. It hurts me to be bit just by a little lovebird...so, I think another lovebird is the best idea for me :).