PDA

View Full Version : a first in the petting arena

dieflying
09-14-2009, 11:34 PM
kath will usually let me pet her little head with one finger. today she was shoving her entire head into my fingers to get the best scratches she could collect.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/dieflying/?action=view&current=Movieon2009-09-14at1208.flv

just thought that was cute. kind of a first that she actually wants to sit with me and be loved.

also, i'm thinking of getting one of those king's cages playpens : http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=K299

for a number of reasons, one being that it isn't wooden and kath is destroying the wooden one i have. i've been trying to search the forum for any past advice on this as i hate bringing up a new question when it might have been answered previously, but it keeps telling me it's forbidden :omg: what'd i do wrong?

so if you have input on that, it'd be appreciated.

Bubblelady
09-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Yup, she's hooked. He he he. Your finger is no longer yours. She'll let you use it when she isn't in the mood for a skritch fest, but it is now hers@

FuzzyAga
09-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Now you can really get in there and get rid of those annoying pin feathers for her! They like the rim of their eyes scratched, too, which I do by gently running the edge of my finger nail along the edge of the eye, being careful to avoid scratching the cornea. Also, another area Juanita likes to get scratched is under the lower beak.

As for the play gym, I tend to avoid all-plastic ones because Juanita is mildly handicapped and not too sure-footed, in fact, sometimes she's clumsy, so I try to avoid slippery plastic things around her. If I have to, I will wrap Vet-wrap around any of the plastic that she will stand/walk on to give her traction. I bought the rolls of Vet-wrap from my vet.

The play gym is very nice, though. I'm sure she'll like the swing.

Enko_chan
09-15-2009, 08:21 AM
I have the king's cage and all my birds LOVE IT!

Shop around, I got mine for $40 on sale at the Birdie Boutique.

Kath looks so much like a lovebird I once had and loved so very much, seeing her photos and vids really warm the heart!

Chickobee
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Congratulations of Kath begging for you give her scritches. I have several birds who like me to preen their feathers too. I haven't tried scritches around the eyes or under the chin though. I'll see if they like that too. :)

Our birds like their natural wood playgyms and they love nibbling on the tips of the branches and flitting from one branch to another. We also have one playgym that has brightly colored perches and it even has a couple of food dishes but none of the birds like it. They all like the homemade ones that are branches and sisal rope ladders way better--and they were almost free because we made them.

I noticed that in the King's Cages add that the birds were photoshopped into the image. Note that there are reflections of the playgym on the bottom tray, but no reflections of any of the birds. No wonder the birds weren't interacting!

Maybe Kath is having a lot of fun destroying her current playgym... :)

wilkiecoco
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
love it!!!!!!! she even kept her head in the same "do me" position when you moved your fingers away!!! :) very cute!! :)

dieflying
09-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I noticed that in the King's Cages add that the birds were photoshopped into the image. Note that there are reflections of the playgym on the bottom tray, but no reflections of any of the birds. No wonder the birds weren't interacting!

i noticed that too! grr. i wanted to see what a lovebird's size really looked like on there, but i cant be sure when it's just photoshopped! i'll probably end up getting her that one at some point, and still let her use the other one as well. that one just looks like it has so much more room and her current one is pretty small.

i liked the way she just left her head down in the blanket, too. what? you don't think you're DONE petting me, right? :rofl:

LovelySydney
09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
awwww that is so cute!!!!! Im super jealous!!

jk1944
09-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Awww, so sweet! I'm jealous, too!

CompassionAk
09-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Awww that little sweetie is so adorable !:)

Flip
09-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Awww, she's sooo cute!!!!