PDA

View Full Version : The confusion on what kind of bird I want is back....ahh!

LoveBug12
09-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Okay so today I went to the petstore out of town that has tons of birds. I saw green cheeked conures, parrotlets, black masked and peach faced lovebirds, some kind of african parakeet about the size of a lovebird that was GORGEOUS but pretty expensive, some other type of bird I've never heard of before that was also...GORGEOUS..and well, cockatiels, finches, parakeets, african greys, let's just say...all of the above. The parrotlets are absolutely ADORABLE. The lovebirds are so beautiful. That was the first time I've ever seen a black masked lovebird in person....I guess I don't get out much? :rofl:

I'm stuck now between a parrotlet, green cheek, lovebird, that pretty african parakeet that's rare (not a ringneck...I forgot the rest of what it is called..sorry!)..Oh geez, these all seem like great birds. What is everyone's opinions on these birds? I'd love to hear them!:)

CompassionAk
09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Well in my perfect world I'd live in a barn and have one of each =p Not sure what the African bird is you're talking about but I met a nice woman that lives here in Juneau and she introduced me to her birds one of which is a red rumped parakeet and talk about cute!!!I fell in love with that little guy and if I ever were to get another bird that would definately be on my list of choices.

dieflying
09-16-2009, 11:35 PM
there is a green cheek at our local pet store that i just keep going back to look at . . . if it were me, i'd take that one! but i'd be like you, if i had the choice, i don't know how i'd decide!

LoveBug12
09-17-2009, 12:09 AM
The Green Cheek at this petstore cost about 250 for the normal and more for the yellow sided. They are really sweet and at the time, there was about 5 babies in the cage they had and they were feeding eachother...or at least I think that's what they were doing?

They also had 4 baby parrotlets in a tiny cage but they all looked so cute and happy in there. 2 yellow and 2 green...can you say ADORABLE!

The lovebirds were handtamed but are no longer because they have not been handled in quite some time. So darn, I finally found some lovebirds that aren't peachfaced but they AREN'T handtamed...just my luck..

and the search continues........

Pips mom
09-18-2009, 12:38 PM
For me, I've always kinda had a birdie plan on when and what kind of birds I wanted. It started out with my normal grey male cockatiel....he came shortly after my parent's male normal grey died. I knew I eventually wanted to give him a cockatiel friend, and although I had planned on another boy, I ended up with a girl......and boy was he happy about that! :rotfl After my tiels I knew that I wanted some other type of bird, but wasn't sure which one.....like you. I went online lots of time and read and researched different birds. I know for some it may be confusing and hard to decide, but for me it was clear as day....one just really stuck out for me and that was a pionus. I planned and got a cage and looked and looked. I found there were two babies over in NY not too far, but they wanted 825 for a baby, wow! a bit much I thought, plus I really like the idea better of finding one being given up that needs a home. I found my Ivy girl and it all just worked out exactly the way I had planned it! She is such a wonderful bird!
Now the lovies.....they are a different story. I never planned to have lovebirds! Them darn cute little stinkers just kinda snuck their way in! :rofl: Just like a lovie, huh? We got Pip on kind of a spurr of the moment thing....I saw his pic and read about him and he really needed a good home.....now I don't know what I would ever do without those cute little chattery sounds and mischievous lovies keeping me on my toes!
My flock is now complete.......well, unless the girl who gave us Rudy was willing to give up the other lovie who was buddies with Rudy, but I haven't heard from her in some time, so I'm thinking she'll keep him. In that case or if something were to happen to one of my birds is really the only way now I'd add another.
Good luck to you in your decision.....remember though....sometimes when you aren't even looking a situation could come up where a bird needs a home and it could end up being meant to be! I feel that way alot with how I ended up with my birds.

LoveBug12
09-18-2009, 02:34 PM
For me, I've always kinda had a birdie plan on when and what kind of birds I wanted. It started out with my normal grey male cockatiel....he came shortly after my parent's male normal grey died. I knew I eventually wanted to give him a cockatiel friend, and although I had planned on another boy, I ended up with a girl......and boy was he happy about that! :rotfl After my tiels I knew that I wanted some other type of bird, but wasn't sure which one.....like you. I went online lots of time and read and researched different birds. I know for some it may be confusing and hard to decide, but for me it was clear as day....one just really stuck out for me and that was a pionus. I planned and got a cage and looked and looked. I found there were two babies over in NY not too far, but they wanted 825 for a baby, wow! a bit much I thought, plus I really like the idea better of finding one being given up that needs a home. I found my Ivy girl and it all just worked out exactly the way I had planned it! She is such a wonderful bird!
Now the lovies.....they are a different story. I never planned to have lovebirds! Them darn cute little stinkers just kinda snuck their way in! :rofl: Just like a lovie, huh? We got Pip on kind of a spurr of the moment thing....I saw his pic and read about him and he really needed a good home.....now I don't know what I would ever do without those cute little chattery sounds and mischievous lovies keeping me on my toes!
My flock is now complete.......well, unless the girl who gave us Rudy was willing to give up the other lovie who was buddies with Rudy, but I haven't heard from her in some time, so I'm thinking she'll keep him. In that case or if something were to happen to one of my birds is really the only way now I'd add another.
Good luck to you in your decision.....remember though....sometimes when you aren't even looking a situation could come up where a bird needs a home and it could end up being meant to be! I feel that way alot with how I ended up with my birds.

How big is Ivy? Are Pionus good birds? :)

Pips mom
09-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Well.....they're supposed to be very good birds.....supposed to be quiet, laid back and kind of shy. Ivy is far from quiet! They also say that pionus tend to not really like being cuddly or handled much.....Ivy is the biggest cuddlebug there ever was! she wants my constant attention and to be held and cuddled and loved! So you really never know what you'll end up with with any bird really. Also Pi's are supposed to be great eaters.....Ivy agrees with that statement! Boy can she eat! and she loves everything! Pionus need lots of fruits and veggies in their diet. The things though about pi's that you can pretty much count on.....their musky birdy smell! and when they're scared they tend to stand completely still....will just sit there! Ivy is very scared of people she doesn't know, and scared of lots of other things as well. She freaks out, even vomits at times from fear and gets car sick, but I've known of others who had pionus that weren't this way. She is a sweet, gentle bird, but from what I've seen alot of them aren't this way. Quite a few do bite and especially males from being hormonal. I was told females are the better sex to get because males tend to get more agressive and territorial when hormonal. I love my Pi girl! she is my bird that I have that really close bird/human bond with!

thebubbleking
09-18-2009, 03:21 PM
For me the choice on what breed of parrot is easy... which ever one is being the most abused and needs a home the most!
There are so many parrots that need good homes that i would go that route instead of a petshop or breeder :D

LoveBug12
09-18-2009, 06:26 PM
For me the choice on what breed of parrot is easy... which ever one is being the most abused and needs a home the most!
There are so many parrots that need good homes that i would go that route instead of a petshop or breeder :D

I would love to adopt one, but I can't find any adoptions over here :(

Pips mom
09-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Look online on petfinder or craigslist, or kijiji......people post all the time around here with birds being given up.

LauraO
09-25-2009, 12:03 PM
My advice is to take your time and focus on personality. While parrots have general characteristics associated with them, they are individuals and you cannot judge a bird by it's breed. My two meyer's parrots are a perfect case as they are polar opposites in terms of temperament and personality. Cookie would make you wish you never heard of meyer's parrots and Koa is a dream bird (unless you are a lovebird then he wants to kill) who loves humans and never bites.

I would caution you about GCC's. They are known to be nippy and given your experiences with Junior right now, this may not be a good choice. I would also keep in mind that any bird larger than a lovebird is going to bite a lot harder. It's not a matter of if they will bite, but when. Even Koa will chomp a couple of times a year when I'm not paying attention or he's displaced bitten and mad at something near me.

My husband and I have an alexandrine parakeet who we think is the best bird to ever inhabit the planet. If she were our first bird our house would likely be filled with alexandrines. Bumpy is a rescue bird with some bad habits, but she is a great bird. She can still bite hard, but her beak is not a standard hookbill and you get more of a bruise if she bites rather than a gash:x.