PDA

View Full Version : Long beak question.

LoveBug12
10-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Juniors beak is growing long now and I am wondering on how to get it shorter. Junior will not use the cuttlebone so do I go get it trimmed anywhere? Will it hurt? :confused:

thebubbleking
10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
if he doesnt like cuttle bone there are verious flovoured mineral blocks and toys and rough perches etc it is recomended to only trim the beak if it ecomes a problem like your lovebird not being able to eat once you get a trim it is going to have to be trimed forever there after, use as many options as you can before beak trimming (my 2 cents)

azreno
10-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Junior really is too young for beak trimming and the only time I ever hear of a lovebird really needing to have it's beak trimmed is because it had PBFD. General chewing on natural perches or wooden toys and on cuttle bones keep those little beaks in check. Young ones though....they aren't going to be chewing the cuttle bones for a bit and as far as their playing and toy habits go, they're just babies and the real chewing comes later. Look for (or make) toys with small wooden pieces like popsicle sticks or find some bird safe twigs and sticks and hang those for him to chew. Soft dowels are great, too. He'll work up to more serious toys eventually and you won't notice his beak growing anymore.

Beak trimming is a serious thing and should be done by a vet or a trained professional- here we have a store owner who is well known for his beak trimming. It can be painful and traumatic as there are tons nerves in the beak.

linda040899
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree. Beak trimming is a last resort when nothing else works. Do it once and you will have to do it for the remainder of the bird's life. Some vets do it rountinely and I have a serious problem with the practice!

Toys that can be chewed or even a concrete perch placed in front of a food dish should prove to be helpful. Most birds will wipe their beaks to clean them and if they use the concrete perch, it will help keep the beak looking nice.

Note on concrete perches: Place them where the bird is perhaps several times/day. Concrete is very hard on birdie feet if the perch should become a favorite one. That's why I suggested in front of the food dish. They sit there to eat and then go elsewhere.