PDA

View Full Version : Does your lovebird need a "plate"?

HaleBoppPeachyluv
10-19-2009, 10:29 PM
So I noticed in her other cage that Sunny used to take pellet, sunflowers, or veggies to a knotted rope perch near her food dish and place her food on the knot... either to help her break it into smaller pieces, crack the seed open, or just kinda hold her food while she chewed up another bit of it.

So when I moved her into her new cage, I made sure to knot a bit of rope next to her food dish... and she totally uses that little knot to put food on! It's so cute. :rofl:

Anyone else?

thebubbleking
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
hrmmm not mine... i put plates for forageing tho... they do the cutest things tho those smarties

FuzzyAga
10-19-2009, 11:30 PM
My Petey will eat his sunflower seeds using a leaf of kale as his plate because otherwise the seed will fall through the wires.

He will take pieces of walnut out of the shell, place the nutmeat on my right hand (I hold the half-shell steady for him with my left hand) and use my right hand as a plate to eat the walnut, which he loves.

Oh, so Petey has company. :)

Pips mom
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Rudy does this kind of thing too! He'll take a sunflower seed from the seed dish and take it to someplace where he can put it down so he can eat it. He used to put it in the cozy hut until I had to remove it. He carries his food to different places and also puts it in his water dish! Pip never did anything like this.

LovelySydney
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
hahaha that is cute. I know he's not a lovebird, but Neko does this with his pellets. He will go to his food dish, put one pellet in his mouth and then run all the way up the cage, go to the outside and sit on his rope perch and THEN proceed to eat it. Quite the process for one little pellet! At least he is getting exercise I suppose ; )

Flip
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh, that's adorable! I definitely remember Kiwi doing something very similar.