PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about parrot dry mouth.

FuzzyAga
10-19-2009, 11:44 PM
BTW, the other day I was holding a piece of walnut meat and Petey's tongue touched my finger, and when I looked at that spot, there was a spot of saliva--well, it was wet--on my finger. I've always heard that parrots have "dry" mouth, but now, I don't know. My experience--and my eyes--are telling me something different.

aru
10-20-2009, 12:36 AM
When Riddle opens his beak to taste something, I can see that most of his tongue looks rather dry, while other parts of his mouth are more shiny and moist. Maybe their saliva just dries more quickly?

Pips mom
10-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Or maybe Petey had a drink of water beforehand? Ivy's mouth is always dry when she puts it on me and I only notice wet when she's better eating or drinking.

LovelySydney
10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I agree with the others, could be from drinking beforehand, could also be from eating a piece of fruit or veggies that left a residue.

FuzzyAga
10-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Yep, it was probably whatever Petey was eating. :)

michael
10-21-2009, 09:09 AM
BTW, the other day I was holding a piece of walnut meat and Petey's tongue touched my finger, and when I looked at that spot, there was a spot of saliva--well, it was wet--on my finger. I've always heard that parrots have "dry" mouth, but now, I don't know. My experience--and my eyes--are telling me something different.

I'm sure parrots, even though they produce very little saliva, must still able to distribute enough for a good taste test. ... Matter of fact, B.B. produces enough saliva to easily last a whole days worth of tongue waggering. And he'll leave plenty trails behind to prove it! .... Then again, why on earth would he want to taste my arm all day?.......:confused:....... I still have to wonder though, how that walnut would taste completely dry to a parrot? ... Especially seeing how their lacking so many taste buds...........:)

Flip
10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree that he probably had a drink of water :)