PDA

View Full Version : Is he eating too much?

Milan
10-23-2009, 01:37 PM
My lovie, Paja , seems to be eating a lot. I mean, he seems to be hungry all the time! I give him food and in no time he eats it and seems to dig for more... Also when I let him out he sometimes flies down and goes pecking and searching for some seed on the floor... Anything wrong? Or he just needs some different food?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day! :)

linda040899
10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Birds tend to graze all day long so finding him eating many times/day would not alarm me. What catches my attention is that he finishes everything in his food bowl! Usually, when I find a food bowl empty, I look at the floor of the cage and a lot of the food has been scooped out of the dish and has fallen under the grate of the cage! What kind of food are you offering him?

Have you weighed him lately? Acceptable weight for a lovebird can be anywhere from 40 grams to 65 grams! A lot depends on how big his parents were.

Milan
10-23-2009, 08:01 PM
well it's not an empty bowl, it's just eaten up and mashed around lol...some of it thrown out as well, but he is sometimes too lazy to dig from beneath , on the bottom of the bowl lol! :)

hope it's nothing to worry about,he is not very "fat" lol, and I give him seeds with minerals, will make sure to give him some other food as well... any more tips?

linda040899
10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
You can remove some of the empty shells to make it easier but foraging is good for him. That's what he's doing when he goes hunting for seed on the floor. The floor is not a safe place for small birds so this is something I would discourage.

You can offer him sprouted seed, which is extremely nutritious! Check our Resource Library and you will find a link to a photo album that shows, pictorially, how to sprout seed. Fresh carrots, kale, sugar snap peas, steamed fresh corn, collard greens are just a few of the many choices you can offer.

Milan
10-24-2009, 11:13 AM
thank you Linda so very much! you are always so helpful whenever I come here. :):):)

LovelySydney
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh no worries - my birds eat all the time. I feel like I am constantly refilling food bowls. Im glad to hear your little one has an appetite!!