PDA

View Full Version : Bird 2

petermark
10-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well, I've finally caved. Kevin's a great little bird, he comes out of the cage every chance he gets. He loves neck scritches. He's a dream lovebird. I've been feeling sort of lonely for him when we're at school and/or work, so I've contacted a breeder and I've arranged to buy Bird 2 on Friday evening.

The will live in separate cages, and during quarantine in separate rooms. Once quarantine is over, they will continue to live in separate cages, but will have "out of cage" time together. I am in need of advice re: how to introduce shared "out of cage" time. I don't want any trouble. FWIW Kevin is 5 mos. old and Bird 2 is 15 weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Bubblelady
10-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Don't have time now to anwer your question (got to get to work) but I'm sure others will. Just wanted to say....you must enter your avitar phote in the Me & My Bird Photo contest!!!!

michael
10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Peter. Glad to hear your following through with quarantine! .... Does bird two happen to be from the same breeder? ... Introductions can vary here. Some will get along immediately. Others may quickly dispell the belief that most lovebirds actually get along together. Either way, after quarantine, allow them plenty time to adjust through the safety of their cage bars. (couple weeks?).. While some of this may also depend on how well a bond you and Kevin currently have, because both are quite young, I have a feeling the odds are in everyones favor. ... In the meantime, I would grab a good squirt bottle just in case things might get a little rough. .. Oh.. and...If you have things that may suffer water damage, you should probably cover them before hand.....:rolleyes:..... Hopefully some others can share their experience.............:)

CompassionAk
10-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Congrats on the new bird,can't wait to see some pics of the new guy.Speaking of pictures I agree with Bubblelady you should enter that avatar pic in the photo contest.Hopefully your two will get along right off the bat but it might take time,it's taken three months for Pele to start fitting in around here and he still has a little ways to go.

LovelySydney
10-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Aww congrats on the new baby - lovies are like potato chips arent they!! = )

Cant wait to see pics.

Pips mom
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Congrats on lovie #2!! I sure hope that they become good friends! With Pip and Rudy, I let them out together, but I just keep a close eye when they get close to each other, I am right there! just in case there is any conflict! I have had to intervene a couple of times, but both birds back away pretty quickly if my hands get close, so I don't really need a squirt bottle.

petermark
10-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh My Gosh!

Just got home with Bird #2 and I think I may have inadvertently bought from a "puppy mill" of the bird world. He's off to the vet first thing on Monday morning. I drove 1.5 hours go get him, and the breeder's husband drove 3 hours to meet me. I could not believe all the birds in that vehicle. Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Sun Conures, etc. I asked him what else he was going to do with all those birds and he said he supplies pet stores. He also said there was a guy from around here who sells birds at the local Flea Market. WHY would someone buy an animal from a flea market?

This guy also drives all the way to Portland 3.5 more hours from where we were and sells his birds there. I asked him how many birds he and his wife have and he couldn't tell me.

We'll see what the vet has to say on Monday.....

Peter:confused:

michael
11-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh My Gosh!

Just got home with Bird #2 and I think I may have inadvertently bought from a "puppy mill" of the bird world. ........I asked him what else he was going to do with all those birds and he said he supplies pet stores. He also said there was a guy from around here who sells birds at the local Flea Market. WHY would someone buy an animal from a flea market?

.......I asked him how many birds he and his wife have and he couldn't tell me.......

Peter!......Sounds like you have indeed purchased from a profit breeder. Unfortunately, its difficult to say what type of health care screenings (if any) are involved when dealing with breeders who's practices are that questionable. ... Flea markets? ... Not at all the proper place to sell parrots! All it takes is one exposure to PBFD, and the aftermath could be devastating. .... For the record. Petsmart sold lovebirds infected with the PBFD aquired from a breeder incorporating the same type of practices. Once discovered, the ensuing coverup and inhumane handling of suspected carriers was enough to challenge even the toughest faculty, be it moral or otherwise.

For the sake of your precious Kevin, I would further question this breeder as to what health care screening processes might be in place, as well as the name of the vet who administers them. ..... Hopefully, all goes well with bird #2. .... Please keep us posted!

bookworm0550
11-01-2009, 11:13 PM
sorry to hear that you got your new guy/gal from a backyard breeder. hopefully your new bird is healthy. it's unfortunate that you never really know if you are buying from a backyard breeder or not until you actually meet them. too bad there's not a way we can all screen these things.

oh yeah, people do sell at flea markets though i never see anyone buy one. very unfortunate. one of my acquaintances informed me that at a local flea market up here, someone was selling an african grey!! he said it's always the same woman who sells various birds, always different birds each time. he questioned the woman's daughter about where they get the birds and how many they have at home, etc...but you know how those questions get answered. He also said that one time this lady was selling gerbils or hamsters, but they were being kept in a paper bag which they chewed through!!! What is wrong with people?

CompassionAk
11-01-2009, 11:32 PM
I wish I had known you were looking for a bird because I could have hooked you up with one of mine.You're in Wa and it's a fairly short flight from Alaska.Anyways hope everything goes well with the new guy and that he has a clean bill of health!

bbslovie
11-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi Peter, Chickobee's in WA as well. I don't know what part of WA you live in but good for future reference. ;) Hope all is well with the new birdie. Let us know how it goes at the vet. Which vet do you take your birds to?

Barb :)