PDA

View Full Version : Some people!

Flapjack
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Ok- so I go into a new classroom today to check on some of my kids. There's a high percentage of students on an IEP in there, so I wanted to make sure they were keeping up.

It's a science classroom, the teacher has a science background, the specific class was field biology. She's new as of last year, and young.

I see a cute little lovie in the classroom. It's a nice sized cage, clean, and I see a playstand, lots of toys. Awesome, right? NOPE!

I tell her how cute he is, and that I have 4 birds myself. I ask how long she's had it- "Two weeks" she says. I ask if she's ever owned birds before "No, but I worked with some in my last job". I don't know what her last job was.

I say "Boy, it smells a bit perfumy in here for a little bird, huh?" She goes, "Really, I can't smell anything"!!!

This is a high school. There are probably 15 girls in there wearing perfume, and there is no window. :x

I start to tell her of the dangers of perfumes, and she totally brushes me off. Really, I was really polite, and friendly- not lecturing or anything. She wouldn't hear it.

Poor baby- this is the reason that even though I'd love to take Nokomis, or even Chino on a harness to school once in a while, I don't. You never know who will be there doused in perfume or lotions.

GRRR! >:

linda040899
11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Jeni,
How about printing a copy of Robin's New Owner's Guide for the class? There's a printable view of for just that purpose. Perhaps a bit of knowledge might rub off on "Miss Know-It-All"! >:

carrier
11-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree 100% with Linda's suggestion - Not only to educate the teacher, but to also prevent any students who see that "cute" little lovie in the classroom and consider it an easy pet to get for themselves to keep at home. :2cents:

LovelySydney
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Makes you wonder if she brought the bird to school because it was easier there than at home = ( I hope the teacher tries to educate herself a little bit. Its an animal for goodness sakes, its good to know what youre getting into!!

Flapjack
11-12-2009, 12:37 PM
:evil::x:evil::x:evil::x:evil:

So get this...

I went back into the same class, and guess what she's teaching???

BIRD PHYSIOLOGY!

She's up front with a powerpoint, with slides of birds' lungs and air sacs, slides on musculature, crops, gizzards, etc.

And not 10 feet away is her little lovie, and his feathers are getting raggedy.
Didn't smell as strong in there, but geez!

Pips mom
11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Poor little lovie......I hate smelling people's strong perfume, so I can only imagine how it might be for him! The least she could have done is open a window and put a fan or something. I am not big into perfume myself, but if I use anything like this, including hairspray, I use it in the bathroom only and only before I am going out somewhere. At least the room smelled better the next time you were there!