PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tree?

Pips mom
11-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Today we went out into the woods nearby to get some type of tree to use as a playgym for the birds. I had planned on doing this a couple of months ago, but just haven't made the time yet until now. I want to make sure the tree we got is safe for the birds, but at this time there are no leaves on any trees! I'd like to identify what kind of tree this is. The tree we picked looked as if it had recently fallen down or someone cut it....it was laying on top of another tree that had fallen also, this way we didn't kill a tree! We cut just a part of the tree, I have a pic, http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/kim1888/100_1373.jpg I stood it up against the fence.....it's taller than me! I can make a great play area with this tree, we already have a base to attach it to that my boyfriend made for a playgym that he never finished. The tree bark is very thin and greenish in color. If it still had leaves it would be easier to identify! How do I find out now?

Pips mom
11-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, I've searched far and wide to ID this tree, joined a forum on trees, and so far it's looking like this tree is a striped maple, or moosewood tree, which after looking at the list, I believe is safe for the birds! There were some kinds of maple that it said to remove the bark, but I think the bark on this one is ok, so it's looking like we picked a good tree! I got the base it will be attached to that my boyfriend built a while ago, cleaning it up and hoping I can get it attached to the base this weekend. I can't wait to add all the toys and a couple of ladders and a boing. I also have some wooden dowel perches we can cut to size and put in between some of the branches!