PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed with his Reflection

angelo
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
:confused:

Greetings all,

Have a question for you guys. We purchased a lovebird about 2 weeks ago, and i guess all is going well so far - He is slowly getting used to my wife and I and we are pretty happy with him so far -

One problem that's sorta has us a little concerned. I made the mistake of feeding him one day on my computer desk, and right beside my desk is my pc tower. Along the brim of the front of the tower is a reflective surface, he saw his reflection once, and that's it. EVERY time i let him out of the cage he flies there first to see if another bird is living in my computer. I have went as far as covering it with books etc. but he is addiment on finding out if there is anything behind there, as im typing he is picking and scratching at the book trying to move it. I hope there is a way to make him 'forget' about it, but so far hes not letting it go...

Thanks in advance.

Angelo -

linda040899
11-16-2009, 03:11 PM
All birds have wonderful memories so the only solution to this might be having to literally tape something non-reflective over the reflective surface so he can't see his reflection in it! Lovebirds are very social and have been known to bond to reflections that are not real....given the opportunity! For that reason, mirrors should not be given to lovebirds. :)

angelo
11-16-2009, 03:15 PM
So if i were to tape the sides of the pc tower, wouldn't he try to chew through them still thinking that there is something back there?

linda040899
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I can't guarantee it but, hopefully not! It's worth a try at any rate!

angelo
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Yep, put some tape on, now he seems even more irritated -
He's starting to chew on the tape, which coudlnt be good for him..

Do i have to get new tower?!?!? :confused:

piousm
11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
My business partner also seems to have bonded to his reflection. We lose much billable time to the bathroom mirror. I might try taping that over, too. Thanks for the tip!

angelo
11-16-2009, 03:50 PM
LOL :rofl:

angelo
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Yea, its been a while now, and he was constantly going after the tape -

I just pulled off the whole front of the tower (skeleton showing now) and he seems to have calmed down although still very curious.

Whats gonna happen when we eventually let him out on the main floor with mirror closet doors ?!

michael
11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi Angelo. Welcome to Lovebirdsplus. ... You know, many birds respond differently to various colours. Maybe try a strip of red tape instead?..........:confused:

FuzzyAga
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
As far as your lovie is concerned, not only is there another lovie living inside your computer, it's also giving him the "clicky" love message from the keyboard when you type on it or when he/she walks across it.

This same clicky noise is the prelude to mating that the male makes, that plus moon-walking, and scratching his beak/nose. It's an instintiive response; can't do anything about it.

It's a mine-field out there! :)

bookworm0550
11-16-2009, 11:14 PM
your little guy is cute. he looks like one of mine. anyway, yeah, mine love their reflections. they see themselves a lot, but when they do, they certainly are curious as to who the other birds are.

bbslovie
11-17-2009, 12:22 AM
My business partner also seems to have bonded to his reflection. We lose much billable time to the bathroom mirror. I might try taping that over, too. Thanks for the tip!

Let us know if it works, there are a number of individuals that I work with that this might just be the one thing that gets through! Lol! Too funny!

Barb :D