PDA

View Full Version : training/taming

yus99
11-30-2009, 12:44 PM
hello, i just got my pirst pair of lovebirds last week and i do not know tow to tame/train them. when i open the cafe and put my hand anywhere nearthem they start flying around:(, can any one help me train and tame them?:confused:

Pips mom
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Love, patience, and time.....that's about it! Spend time with them near their cage, maybe read a book to them, talk to them. A wing trim can help alot too.

RicosPoppy
11-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Patience is Key.

Birds need time to build trust that you're not going to harm them. For some birds this can be a few weeks or a few months.

Either way, try to key off your bird and do things they are comfortable with, like the reading or just spending time by their cage.

As they grow more used to your presence, their curious side will come out.

It may be cliche but it's so important in the early days to form this bond and go slowly.

The result of your patience and love will be one of the most unique bonds a human and animal can form. IMHO.

shinbatsu
11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Try to figure out what their favorite food is. You can slowly over a period of a few days bribe them into coming and taking the treat from you. This will help you build trust and eventually you can bribe them into stepping up and even eating out of your hand. Don't get screwed up like I did, you can check out my thread it has a lot of good information in it.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=16382