PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't have taught him this if I tried...

Z28Taxman
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
For the past few months Ditto has picked up a new "trick".

When we're watching tv at night and he flies back to his cage to get a snack, he has to stop on the way to the food bowl and ring his bell before going to the food bowl and get a snack to bring back. :rofl:

linda040899
12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
That's funny, Dave! :lol

Some of what they do naturally is just incredible and leaves me in shock when I hear comments like "It's just a bird." There's someone home in all those feathered bodies!

CompassionAk
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I can just picture how cute that must be =) I'd love to see a video of it if you were ever able to catch him in the act!

michael
12-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I'll bet he's trying to tell you something Dave. .... Maybe getting low on nutriberries?........:confused:........:D

Z28Taxman
12-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll bet he's trying to tell you something Dave. .... Maybe getting low on nutriberries?........:confused:........:D

No then he screams at me and beats the living daylights out of the bell. :rofl:

Eliza
12-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Too cute!

On a side note, a friend of mine is in the process of teaching her dog to ring a bell when she needs to go out. Maybe she should hire Ditto ;)

Z28Taxman
11-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Well after almost a year I think I figured out how he learned it.

I never paid any attention to it but last night it hit me. He always eats dinner with me and normally will start eating as soon as I start getting my dinner out of the oven. I use the timer on my oven and last night it went off and he went and started eating. He's obviously associated the beep from the oven timer with me bringing my dinner in here to eat. So he does the same thing with his bell when he brings a snack over. :rofl:

linda040899
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
What's the old cliche....monkey see, monkey do?????

Dave,
That's too funny! Ditto is a character and a half, that's for sure!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chickobee
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
That's so cute, and definitely video material! :) Ditto is a character!

I told a friend about hanging bells on the doorknob for her puppy and it now rings the bells when it needs to go outside. My dog used to do that and it was way nicer than barking or scratching the door.

bird-brain
11-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes, video is in order if you can catch him! I think he is really ringing the bell for service but when you don't get up, figures he must see to his snack himself!

Honestly though, if he associates your "bell" with you both eating, do you think his bell ringing means he's inviting you to snack time? Perhaps you should join him for a nutriberry.

Bill's Birds
11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Some Birds are amazing at what they pick up, figure out, or just plain make up. They never cease to fascinate me.:rotfl

Janie
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
He is quite the character! :D

Z28Taxman
11-16-2010, 04:46 PM
He is quite the character! :D

He is quite the little goofball. :happy:

thebubbleking
11-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Lol my flock for some reason hates my microwave beep.
Mabey he is ringing his bell incase you want him to bring back a lil something to regurgitate to you..he looooooooooooooves you thats why lol

LauraO
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Great story, but totally not surprising. Ditto has always been a character and lovies in general are pretty amazing birdies. Personally, no video needed for me. I can totally see it happening and it's a crack up:rofl:.

On a side note, every morning I wake up and head to make coffee and am greeted by Kammie (african grey) with the loudest and pretty long fart noise you can imagine:omg:. I keep thinking she had an owner (like some 300+lb guy:whistle:) at some point in her life that let out a knarly fart every morning and now Kammie thinks that means good morning:rofl:.

Eliza
11-17-2010, 06:53 PM
That makes sense.

Between the ding of the oven timer and the beep of the microwave Pickle learned that those noise meant food fairly quickly, particularly since I would often given him a bite :rotfl

That Ditto, though... SUCH a cutie! Any recent photos to share? I miss the little cutie and need a lovie fix... QUICK :blush:

Well after almost a year I think I figured out how he learned it.

I never paid any attention to it but last night it hit me. He always eats dinner with me and normally will start eating as soon as I start getting my dinner out of the oven. I use the timer on my oven and last night it went off and he went and started eating. He's obviously associated the beep from the oven timer with me bringing my dinner in here to eat. So he does the same thing with his bell when he brings a snack over. :rofl: