PDA

View Full Version : Edenpure space heater?

michael
12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
After doing a bit of research on portable space heaters, I found a handful of parrot owners who purchased the "Edenpure" brand Generation 3. ... After calling the company to confirm the absence of any PTFE related parts, I was assured their models not only had none, but were entirely safe to use around pets (including birds). Thinking their most recent "Signature" model may be better yet...(as it also incorporated a humidifier/non-ozone emitting air purifier), I decided to give one a try.

First. ... Let me explain my own method for determining space heater eligibility; ... Number one. All PTFE coating must be absent from these type products what so ever. Even if they do not contain PTFE, a 12 hour break-in period OUTSIDE the living area is required. .. Reason. Because various lubricants are often used during manufacturing processes, and, some products are also coated with other questionable chemicals/metals such as "zinc oxide"/etc, a thorough break-in period is needed to help burn off any hazardous residue.

Second. ... These units must be safe from any or all burn hazards associated with heated surfaces. Small parrot owners especially should also be aware their small parrot may decide to utilize an output vent as a great nesting site! .......:omg:

Third. ... Are they economical? .... Most of the better units appear to use 1500 watts per kilowatt hour. In terms of power consumption, 1500 watts is 1500 watts regardless of which brand you use. Getting a hold of one that offers more bang for your buck for that 1500 watts is the big question here. ... And yes...There are some units that offer varying wattage settings, including some smaller units that offer a total energy consumption of 800 watts per KWH or less. Problem is. Are they sufficient?

Back to the Edenpure "Signature" model. .... (Two days trail)....Although this particular unit did have the extra features I wanted, for the power consumption (and price of $388.41 on sale), that did little to compliment its rather poor heat output, so I promptly returned it. .... Upon doing so, the salesman contended that I should have purchased the 2008 "Generation 3" model (with tube filaments) as they tend to produce more heat. .... In fact, I do know they put out more heat NOW because I previously stood in front of one such unit, and it definitely outdid the 2009 Signature model. .... Wish they would have told me that ahead of time though......:x......For now, I think i'll pass.

Anyone else with similar models? ...... Please share your input.......:)