PDA

View Full Version : 9 weeks old lovebird

vic77
12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi, I've recently lost my most beautiful and affectionate lovebird in the world and decided to get a new one. I brought her home last night, she is 9 weeks old. I am a bit concerned about her behavior. She eats a little bit, I make her drink and she sleeps all the time. She shows very little activity. And she looks weak to me. Is it normal for her age? I think my previous bird was a bit older when I got her so I did not have issues like this.
Thank you in advance,
Victoria

Flip
12-12-2009, 06:47 PM
She may not be fully weaned. Sometimes they regress when you bring them home. Have you handfed before? Could you get some baby bird formula and feed her? If she's not eating then you need to get some nourishment into her right away!

linda040899
12-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I agree with Flip on this one. Nine weeks is young and it's totally possible that this baby was just weaned. Put under stress and babies can revert back to wanting to be hand fed. If you don't have any hand feeding formula, you can offer warm food from your fingers and he/she may eat it.

If you got this baby from a breeder, call the breeder immediately and ask for hand feeding formula. Formula can be fed by syringe or from a spoon. Since you've probably never hand fed before, the spoon is much safer, as all you have to do is hold it. Your lovebird will do the rest.

I'm very concerned that this baby needs to be fed, especially since you mentioned it appears to be weak. If you need help, post a message in I Need Help NOW! Several of us get e-mail notifications from that forum and you will get a very quick response.

Flip
12-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Can you give us an update?