PDA

View Full Version : Stinky question?

michael
12-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Sooo. .....:whistle:.....Thought this might be an interesting question. .... Can parrots actually smell anything? ..........:)

What do ya's think? .... No cheating!.........:rolleyes:

Pips mom
12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'm thinking they have such awesome eyesight and hearing that maybe their sense of smell might be not as good? I don't know at all, so of course this is just my guess.....with no cheating! :rotfl You can see the response from them with sight and hearing, but not with smell so impossible to know!

Birkah
12-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Olfactory senses are linked, right? I was told that parrots have a poor sense of taste (and that is why they get in trouble eating the wrong things), so it would follow that they have poor sense of smell. Also, considering that Cipher will crawl into my husband's shirt after he's been working out in the yard (phew!), I would assume that they can't smell worth a darn.

FuzzyAga
12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I would say that they can smell.

Cipher doesn't mind the way your hubby smells because they don't place any social value on smells the way we do (or the way the deordorant makers want you to!) It's the same with other animals. I'll bet that if your hubby took a friendly ol' hound's muzzle and clamped it lightly into his armpit after a workout that that ol' mutt will be wagging his tail like crazy! "Oh, boy! A new game!"

:rofl:

michael
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Olfactory senses are linked, right? I was told that parrots have a poor sense of taste (and that is why they get in trouble eating the wrong things), so it would follow that they have poor sense of smell. Also, considering that Cipher will crawl into my husband's shirt after he's been working out in the yard (phew!), I would assume that they can't smell worth a darn.

Could it be dogs have the same problem?......:rofl: .... Seriously, after noticing a multitude of varying opinions via the "web", rather than taking a scientific approach, I thought it was better to ask parrot owners themselves. ... For example, I believe my lovebirds and other parrots i've checked on can (should they choose to use their snoot holes) smell quite well. ... General consensus here, was that morning breath is out and fresh minty breath is in. Same went for various foods we ate as well. .... But what about the least noticable pheromones? ... Without coming into sniffer range of this chemical, how is it that birds in the wild are able to seek out a proper mate thats not the same gender unless they could at least smell something? ... Well, perhaps with all the evolution thats occured, good vision really is for the birds? ... Or could it be that much like some sort of hormone virus, said pheromones are entered without much olfactory notice. .... You know, i'd still like to figure out how our little dinosaurs got their wings...............:)

thebubbleking
12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Great another question besides do love birds fart that i cant answer!

HaleBoppPeachyluv
12-31-2009, 01:44 AM
^^hahahah!

I've always assumed that lovies can smell and mine always seemed to prefer "morning breath" to fresh minty... they always wanted to be near our mouths before we brushed in the AM.

FuzzyAga
12-31-2009, 12:05 PM
LOL
OK, I'll roll with it. :)

My Juanita and Petey fart just before they poop. Well, it sounds like a fart, although it could be that the sound is that of a seal being broken as the vent opens, and immediately after the cloaca discharges its contents, and not exactly expulsion of gas. It's a small sound and audible only if the ear is close to the bird.

I'm glad we're having this serious discussion.

michael
12-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Great another question besides do love birds fart that i cant answer!

Yup!... Much like Juanita and Petey, my two will occasionally let out a small pop or short sputter. ....:x.... If you wish to find out though, best I can tell you is try zooming in as close as you can.....

.....using a good camera and microphone..........:rolleyes:

Mary in Florida
01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
LOL, I can hear Sweetpea, our lovie, let out the world's tiniest squeaky little fart before she poops because she's usually on my shoulder when she lets go. She generally moves to the edge of whatever she is sitting on and lets go into space. Works well when you hold her over a wastebasket.