PDA

View Full Version : update on Frodo

Dodo
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave advice for helping Frodo and her self-mutilation/plucking problem...just thought I'd give a little update. We went back to the vet's on Monday morning for a follow-up and the leg wound seems to have healed fairly well... The vet removed the scab and there seems to be some build-up of scar tissue and what looks like a little cyst. Feathers are regrowing. She seems to be favouring the leg still, and it looks a little swollen, so we're going to keep an eye on it and continue with painkillers. No sign of infection, though, so that's a plus. The vet suggested my boyfriend and I come in together with Frodo for an appointment to learn how to safely put the collar on ourselves, in case Frodo starts the destructive behaviour again. She also has a bit of congestion in the nostrils (but no coughing/ sneezing) which the vet thought might mean a lack of vitamin A (and I think might be related to more dust/irritants in the cage because of the towel lining), so we're doing Sunshine Factor and more carrots/greens. Continuing with the foraging (we've made some wonderful paper bag creations she's had lots of fun with!) and trying my best to remove any possible air-borne irritants. She seems quite active and vocal, although she doesn't seem as quiet as usual at night...chirping and playing with her bell every few hours. Could this signal a problem or is it just the return of energy/activeness?

michael
01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
........ She seems quite active and vocal, although she doesn't seem as quiet as usual at night...chirping and playing with her bell every few hours. Could this signal a problem or is it just the return of energy/activeness?

Wow! ... I would certainly take everything you've noted as a positive step in the right direction! .... The leg cist maybe? ..Well, hopefully this is something that sort of wanes N' wans. The fact that there's no infection is definitely a plus!

Great that your vet has offered to help with the ecollar. Maybe you can keep the vet around, and eventually toss out the ecollar!.....:rolleyes:.....Besides, good vets that work WITH YOU can be very hard to come by. ... In regards to the stuffy nares...While its not uncommon to have this sort thing happen at certain times of the year, you do need to watch this very carefully. ... Could also be a lowered immune response due to stress. .. Overall, it would not be surprising to find that everything we spoke about played little factor on the real cause/s. Thats whats so difficult about dealing with avian self abuse. Who knows though, maybe those bag creations along with the extra vitamin A, and she'll be back to good as new!

Playing with her bell at night? .... You know, i'm almost positive this is also a good sign. ... Sometimes whenever parrots begin to feel ill, they suffer a "gradual" lack of energy thats not always noticable until much later on. Hence, once properly treated, their suddenly full of energy. ...... Thanks so much for the update! .. Prayers your precious Frodo continues to feel better. ...........:)