PDA

View Full Version : Need a Name (Not Bird Related)

linda040899
01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I just adopted the most adorable Cairn Terrier mix and the name "Bear" just does NOT fit! He's about 8, very quiet and extremely cooperative with anything anyone wants to do with him. He was picked up as a stray and spent almost a month at Animal Control because they had to search for owners who did not want to be found.... I'm amazed that anyone would abandon a dog like this, although he's older and has a few medical problems.

Thoughts, suggestions??????

carrier
01-27-2010, 07:23 AM
He sounds sweet, and got bless you for adopting an older dog, Linda!

As a terrier owner myself, I say wait a few days and he will no doubt tell you what his name is!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Pips mom
01-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Oh, I am just terrible when it comes to picking names.....look how long it took for us to name Rudy! It's a good thing three of my birds already came with names! I know we have alot of really creative people here though that come up with great names, so hopefully they will be along soon with some great suggestions! Congrats on the new doggie!

linda040899
01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm just tickled to have this guy with us, especially with all the birds around. My last dog was the only one who actively pursued trying to catch one of my birds in flight and that's what got him sent back to rescue after having been with me for 3+ yrs. Unfortunately, the bird he went after was Harley and all Harley was doing was making his usual flight around the living room. It's nothing that Harley hasn't done every day for the past "x" number of years so I had no choice but to do what I did. Rescue knew it was a possibility and they were always very careful in giving me dogs to foster. Several went back for this same reason.

Corgis are herding dogs and will not usually do this but I wasn't waiting for a second incident. This little guy is so laid back and sweet!

kimsbirds
01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Congrats on your new housemate!
Terriers are hilarious, goofy, smart, headstrong, and always happy to see you...enjoy the time with him!

Names...um...lemme see...

Fenway
Max
Jazz
Flash
Jasper
Marlow
Keifer
Oliver
Fuzz
Wiggles

?????

wilkiecoco
01-27-2010, 08:59 AM
perhaps a picture would help us with names????????? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :)

FuzzyAga
01-27-2010, 09:23 AM
"Toto" after the Wizard of Oz dog?

Chickobee
01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Corky
Bucky
Pepper
Keno
Skippy
Spot (I have a friend who names every dog Spot, even ones with no spots! a black lab was the last one.)

Yes, pics would be good!

Janie
01-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Congratulations on your new buddy, Linda! I'll bet the right name will come to you soon.

Betsy has so many names (Precious, Sweet Pea, Baby Girl, Boo Boo, Peanut) that I'm not sure why we even named her! :D

Enko_chan
01-27-2010, 11:00 AM
My family has had 2 Cairn Terriers- I just love them!

Their names were Misty and Liliput.

linda040899
01-27-2010, 11:04 AM
The name that keeps running through my mind is Lucky because most older dogs taken in at animal control don't leave. They listed age as "6" but my vet, the groomer and I all agree that true age is probably at least 8. Now that's fine with me, but most people want young dogs/puppies. With everything that I have to do, I'm looking for one that's crate trained, housebroken and has at least a few manners! I don't want the learning curve to start at the bottom!!! Lucky, however, brings back a couple of bad memories so I'm going to pass on that one.

carrier
01-27-2010, 01:23 PM
How about Fortune?

Or...

Milo
Max
Finn (Finnigan)
Angus?

:pics:

michael
01-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Cairn terriers all look like Ollie's or Cooper's. .. I'll bet your little floor mop is cute as the Dickens!........:)

NickyBeth
01-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Sounds like this guy is rough and tough...like John Wayne. I think my favorite movie of him was "The Quiet Man", where he proves on the inside & outside that he is worthy of Maureen O'Hara. He was known as "Trooper Thorn" (a.k.a Sean Thornton), so what about a name like Trooper? Sounds like he's been through a lot, but still wants to prove his love to you!

Enko_chan
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Cairn terriers all look like Ollie's or Cooper's. .. I'll bet your little floor mop is cute as the Dickens!........:)

Dickens would be a cute name for a male!

I can imagine a dirty little foresaken terrier, all sooty from sleeping in a London alley... what could be more Dickensian?

Linda, if you want to do "Lucky" but more unusual, you could find a foreign word that means the same thing/something similar... and better yet, from where did Cairn Terrier breeds originate? Maybe they've got a word for lucky that would make a good name.

linda040899
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Cairn Terriers are native to Scotland where they were bred for getting rid of pests. However, "Bear" is a mix and the groomer seems to think the "mix" is Brussels Griffin. He has a thinner coat like a Griffin, so it's possible.

Anyway, now that he looks and feels better, here he is:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/linda040899/Miscellaneous/Bear.jpg

Janie
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
He's adorable and I can see some Brussels in him, too! Cutie pie!

Enko_chan
01-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh my goodness, is he precious or what?

You are both equally lucky to have found one another. I can't imagine a more loving home for this sweet feller.

Argh! Kokoro just destroyed my very last hair tie, so I am off to get it out of his beak...

wilkiecoco
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
oh my - he is absolutely adorable!! :)

linda040899
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
When I first saw him, you couldn't tell what he was! The shelter gave him a bath but not much else. I really felt bad for him, as he doesn't have a thick coat for warmth and most of the time he was there the temps were 45F and under. Nothing I could do but wait.

He must have really wanted to come home with us, as the first thing he did when he saw us was sit up on his back legs, little front paws tucked neatly against his chest. Couldn't resist that! :lol

FuzzyAga
01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
cute! Toto!

Birkah
01-27-2010, 08:04 PM
What an absolute cutie!!

FuzzyAga
01-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I love his curly tail and soulful eyes! Smooch, smooch!

michael
01-28-2010, 04:44 AM
He'd make a cute little miniature reindeer!......:p......I'll bet those claws would give him good traction in the snow too!......:D

linda040899
01-28-2010, 07:49 AM
I'll bet those claws would give him good traction in the snow too!......:D
He may be small but he's already shown me he can do things I would not expect him to be able to do! When I woke up yesterday morning, I had a small furry body with me in bed. Now mind you, I have a pillow top mattress that requires a fitted sheet with 18" deep pockets. They ain't easy to find, or at least they weren't when I got my new bed. With frame, box spring and mattress, the distance from floor to the top is roughly 30" or 2.5'. He can jump up with little or no problem, as long as he's on the area rug on the one side of the bed and not on the other side where that's just laminate! Uh huh! And he's probably 8 yrs old......

carrier
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
When I woke up yesterday morning, I had a small furry body with me in bed.

Terriers are no fools! :rofl::rofl:

If it's warm and cozy up there with you, he's going to be there no doubt! Gracie sleeps with me every night. It's like having a little heating pad in the bed with you :). Which is nice at this time of year.

Beware, though...those "tiny" bodies somehow grow in the middle of the night and turn into Great-Danes! I can't tell you how many times I wake up on the very edge of my bed and she's streched out across the center of the mattress, taking up the entire bed!!! :omg:

Chickobee
01-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Have you seen the movie "Grayfriar's Bobby"? It was so cute...

Chickobee
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Here's more names!

Dusty
Carlin
Baxter
Barkley
Grady
Chester
Kingston
Winston
Kelly
Kerry
Parker
Casey
Victor
Skippy
Riley
Bingo
Rocket
Rusty
Cody
Bandit
Radar
Herbie

Chickobee
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
And.... More!

Barney
Bandit
Toby
Monty
Waldo
Duffy
Banjo
Ripley

But, I really like Dusty or Corky for your cute little guy. Or, maybe Bucky for buckwheat.

He is so cute, and it's nice that he is a well mannered mature dog. How nice!

Whatever you decide to call him I'm sure it will be OK with him!

Chickobee
01-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Did you name him yet? :) he is so cute! He has such a sweet little face. Who could resist him!!!

linda040899
01-31-2010, 05:20 PM
I really thought I had the perfect name picked out. I've been watching his personality, and a name hit me at lunch.............Shadow, because he truly is. He is where ever we are!

Well, you've heard the old saying about the best laid plans? Here I am, all excited when I get home and I mentioned something about being glad I have a different name other than Sam...... All of a sudden, little doggie ears perk up like I've never seen before and he starts jumping around excitedly. I left him in the living room and went into the kitchen where he couldn't see me. I called "Sam!" and here he comes, bounding around the corner of the kitchen entrance. ~sigh~ I guess it's not clean cup, change seats. It's move over one chair and keep the same cup!

He's now officially S a m.

Janie
01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, gotta admit that Sam is, hands down, my favorite male name. I would have named Oliver Sam if I didn't already have a son with that name! :D

Chickobee
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
That's great Linda.

Maybe Sam was his name at his former home?

I was reading about choosing names for dogs on a website and it suggested testing them to see which one(s) the dog liked.

It sounds like he chose his name for you, or you stumbled onto his former name!

The wonderful part is that he comes when you say it!!!! :happy:

linda040899
02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
He's definitely responding to Sam, even though I like Shadow better! It's not an important battle (changing his name) that I want to fight. If he recognizes Sam, then Sam it is....... I just want him to be safe, comfortable and happy!

On a side note, he met the chickens yesterday and he wasn't quite sure what to do! They are as big, size-wise, as he is and it was funny to see him nose to beak with a chicken! :lol

Janie
02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Name changing was very easy with my Pom. She was Sweet Pea for almost three YEARS but I wanted to call her "Betsy" (after my mother, :)) and after a couple of months she knew her new name.... and that's a Pom, not likely the smartest of breeds! :whistle:

If you really want to call him Shadow, try calling him "Shadow Sam" or "Sam Shadow" for a few weeks and then drop the Sam part. :)