PDA

View Full Version : new lovebird

newbirdymoma
01-31-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm looking for a new bird and I've talked to a Breeder who has a medium white face violet available. Does anyone hear have that color and could you please post a picture for me to see?

linda040899
01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
I don't personally have any right now but I found this with a Google search: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bew1/4118164605/ Yup, the bird looks blue, as violet is very hard to capture with a camera.

The determining factor for violet is a purple rump. The body feathers can actually be blue with a violet overwash and the bird is still considered to be violet, simply because of the purple rump feathering. Don't let anyone tell you that a Peachfaced Lovebird is "split for violet," as there is no such thing. Lutino, Creamino and Double Dark factor Blue (Mauve) will hide the violet factor but the bird is not split for violet. With violet, if you don't see it, it's not there. The prettiest violets are the birds with actual violet feathers. Not only is the rump feathering purple, all the feathers are lavender. If the bird is a baby, the face will not turn white until age 4 months. Ask the breeder for a photo.

buddy
01-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi there, I have 2 whitefaced violets I got some photos that actually show there beautiful color, have a look at my first introduction post
:)

linda040899
01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Nice looking birds! The one on the perch shows the coloring but it's hard to get photos that do!

buddy
01-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Yes I no what you mean Linda, their bellys show the nice lavender but the wings seem to have a green tinge in the photo which they don't actually have, more of a deep blue/violet. :) I think violet is my favourite! I recently visited the breeder of these birds a lovely man in his 60's who knows a whole lot on mutations and genetics, he showed me his first violet opaline with a snow white head extending down to the nape, and the body the most beautiful violet I have seen....amazing!

newbirdymoma
01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Thank you Linda and Buddy. Buddy your birds are beautiful! Now that I see how beautiful they are I'm really excited!

newbirdymoma
02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Since the breeder is only 45 min away I've decided to go look at them myself.