PDA

View Full Version : Green's taming season!

Green
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Green is very nice bird and I love it. But he bites also :cry::D...And when I want to catch him he runs away. But when I catch him, I cuddle him and he loves it, he is so calm and sweet, what to do to tame him, just cuddle him always or? Are he so nice because he loves it to cuddle him or he is just scared and dont want to runs away?:rofl:

michael
01-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Honestly, I think Greens just a really nice lovie, who in time will eventually come visit you......:)...... Could he be too scared to run away? .. Yes, he can. .. Much like certain cats or dogs who will often appear to "give in" to a veterinarian exam, some parrots may do the same once their caught or cornered. ... Therefore, the fact that they allow themselves to be handled afterwards does not always mean their not scared. .. You know, I still suffer a good bite every now and then, and both my birds are considered pushovers!........:rotfl

CompassionAk
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Just be gentle and patient with him,show him that he can trust you and he'll come around.You don't want to force him to do anything,over time he'll learn that you're his buddy.

Enko_chan
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Much like certain cats or dogs who will often appear to "give in" to a veterinarian exam, some parrots may do the same once their caught or cornered. ...

Over time, you will learn Green's body language and will know for sure whether he is afraid when you catch him, or if he is too stunned to fight.

I have seen what Michael describes in my lovebird, Odinn, just around the house when we first made attempts to spend time with him... and to a greater extent, my parrotlet, Benny when he went to the vet. No one is allowed to touch him except for me and his little girlfriend Sayuri. He never had trouble with me touching him, and I know his body language well- so when he got sick I KNEW he was in pain when I touched certain areas and that something was very wrong with him.

He was terrified and frantic and ended up flying around the vet's office when it came time for his examination- though he came to me when I called him. I handed him to the vet and he went limp. He stopped fighting and didn't so much as flinch when the vet touched his tender, infected ear rather more roughly than I would have liked- and she took this to mean that his ear didn't hurt him. I had to explain that he was stunned, and wasn't responding to ANYTHING- that I preen around his ears regularly and when I so much as brush the feathers near the infected ear, he would SCREAM and flip out. She immediately understood what I meant, and prescribed him a painkiller.

It may be that Green just enjoys the thrill of the chase- like my Freyja, too. If you watch him carefully, in time you will understand the slightest body language, every chirp, you will know just how your Green is feeling. Until then, play it safe. Being too aggressive can scare him away and make bonding more difficult.

Pips mom
01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Pip is the same way....he'll run away from us, but once we catch him and handle him, he seems ok with it. I kinda think Pip loves the attention and the closeness to us, but he just doesn't like being held by hands. He likes us enough to not let it bother him much that we do it, but he's squirming to get away within a minute or so! He'll also bite from time to time, but when we handle him he only nips lightly and never bites hard. He bites hard when you least expect it sometimes, but mostly I have learned what gets him biting and avoid those things and I rarely get bitten now, once in a while and usually they aren't hard bites.