PDA

View Full Version : Low Maintenance?????

linda040899
08-28-2005, 08:17 AM
What planet is this person living on????

DetNews.com - Detroit,MI,USA
Saturday, August 20, 2005

By Christy L. Breithaupt / Special to The Detroit News

Birds take off as choice for animal companion
Feathered friends can be loyal and full of personality, but learn
all you can before you buy.

Metro Detroit has gone batty for birds and boasts a growing
number of bird lovers, breeders and vets.

While most people view birds as passive pets that are around
merely for show, bird owners say their pets have personalities as
colorful as their plumage.

"It's almost like having a miniature dog," says Tammy Clos, who
breeds parrotlets (miniature parrots) with her husband in
Livonia. "They'll follow you wherever you go. They'll give you
kisses on the cheek. They all have such different personalities."

Birds don't have the best reputation, but veterinarian Christine
Fernandez says the bad rap is undeserved. You may have heard the
expression "bird-brain," used to imply that someone is of
below-average intelligence, but the statement is a misnomer.

"People don't realize the level of intelligence birds have," says
Fernandez of the Birmingham Veterinary Clinic. "They are very
capable of a higher level of thinking. They are capable of
complex thought. They are amazing."

Aside from making a good companion, birds are also great pets
because they are relatively low-maintenance. Usually all they
need are clean and spacious living quarters, food and water and a
small amount of attention. If cared for properly, they require
very little veterinary attention, which helps to keep the bills
down.

Here are some tips from Fernandez, Clos and Tony Farrugia,
president of the Livonia Society of Canary and Finch Breeders, on
what to consider when you are buying.

. Do your research. If you are interested in a certain type of
bird, it's best to know everything you can about the breed before
making a purchase. The Internet, books or talking with a
veterinarian are all good tools.

. Join a bird group. If you're not sure what type of bird might
be best, you can talk with other bird owners about their
experiences and often see each breed up close.

. Be committed. Some breeds of birds can live to be 70 years old,
so make sure you are prepared to spend a lifetime with your bird.
Birds often attach themselves to just one person, so abandoning
them could have serious mental repercussions for the animal.

. Know that birds make noise. If you prefer peace and quiet to
song, a bird probably isn't for you. Most owners find the song of
a bird, such as a canary, a relaxing sound.

. Buy from a breeder. Breeders often know more than pet store
employees about the birds they specialize in. Also, breeders will
take the time to hand raise most birds so they are ready to be
handled when you get them home.

. Think about your other pets. For the most part, birds are
easily mixed in with other animals. However, some birds sound
like a dog's squeaky toy, which might thoroughly annoy your
pooch.

. Birds can make a good hobby. Caring for birds can be calming
and inexpensive. Many owners decide to breed their birds or start
exhibiting them at shows.

Christy L. Breithaupt is a Metro Detroit freelance writer.

---
Choosing a breed

Here's some tips from veterinarian Christine Fernandez on how to
choose the breed of bird that's right for you:

. If you're a beginner, it's best to start with a small bird,
such as a parakeet or finch, which requires the most basic care.

. Families with small children should stay away from larger
birds. Breeds such as cockatiels, lovebirds and canaries are good
choices.

. Birds are great pets for people who have allergies to cats and
dogs; most people have no reaction to any breed. However, some
people are allergic to the powdery substance on cockatoos and
cockatiels.

. If you really want a bird to bond with, choose a larger breed
such as a parrot, African gray or macaw. However, if you have a
busy schedule, avoid large breed birds -- they require a great
deal of love and attention. Large birds bond so deeply with their
owners that if left alone for too long they can develop
psychological issues and harm themselves.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lifestyle/0508/20/D10-286414.htm

The text highlighted in red is what makes me wonder if the author of this article has ever lived with a bird!!!

Janie
08-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Linda, I have no doubts.....she did NOT live with a bird! Good grief, I've told any and every one who's asked me about the difference in caring for dogs/cats and birds. IMHO, birds are much higher maintenance IF they are cared for properly. I had no idea until I adopted Oliver. So worth it but definitely HIGH maintenance! :D

linda040899
08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Janie,
I will admit that this Bird-Breeder Bird-Hobbyist offering was a bit of a shell shock to my all too human brain! If birds are becoming more popular as pets (and they are), at least give accurate information about them!!! :eek:

bellarains
08-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Hmmm,

She MAY have a bird, but obviously doesn't know the definition of "cared for properly". She also has no clue as to the amount of time a pet bird requires, as they are not like a dog or cat. You have to know where your fids are at all times, where as your dog or cat wanders at will.

I'm also wondering at the statement about lovebirds, cockatiels and canaries being great with small children. In my opinion small children tend to squeeze small pets, and of course their reaction to a bite would most likely be extreemely spastic. I know some have small children that handle their birds just fine, but I think overall, birds are not for tots.

Janie
08-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Yes, that kind of misinformation leads to a lot of re-homing and that just makes me sick. I don't think most first time buyers go in with the intentions of getting rid of the bird a few months later because of the high maintenance, the noise level, etc. but it does happen often because few bird store sellers are truthful with them before they buy. I do visit one great specialty store here. One day, I was holding an 11 week old Cockatoo, rocking it like a baby. The manager came up to me and told me not to get attached to that bird, I was too OLD to start with that species! :lol I was NOT even thinking of buying that bird but the point is, he let me know that a Cockatoo is a long, long time commitment and would likely outlive me by many years. If I were 25, I'd have an AG in a heartbeat but I know it would not be fair to acquire one now and my sons have made it clear that they do not want a bird left to them in the will! :lol

linda040899
08-28-2005, 09:15 AM
The sad part of this article is that it appeared in a large metropolitan newspaper...........

Paulette
08-28-2005, 09:24 AM
If she had been a bird owner, she would have mentioned it and how much joy it gave her. Birds are increasing in popularity at a rapid rate. And even though she suggests visiting with a vet or breeder, I find it has been incredibly hard to find either and any close to my area. She should have mentioned the growing number of bird shelters and adoption; the commitment it takes to care for birds. Although she mentioned studing information before you choose, I don't think she did her homework either. I didn't even know the shelters existed for birds until I was looking for information on what to feed and how to care for my first cockatiel on the net.

Janie
08-28-2005, 09:36 AM
She should have mentioned the growing number of bird shelters and adoption; the commitment it takes to care for birds

Paulette, I agree 100%! Until I found this forum, I never knew that pet birds could be found in shelters! I didn't know that people bought birds and then gave them up! :omg: We live in an incredibly disposable society. If you get it, don't like it, get rid of it. :(

butterfly1061
08-28-2005, 11:00 AM
LOW MAINTENANCE??!!!?? :eek: HA!!!!

I don't think I ever spent this much time with my cats in the past. My birds get as much attention from me as if I had a child. I consider anyone who doesn't give their birds the care they deserve/need a disposable pet-owner. I know several people who have birds as pets and the looks I get when they here me talk about how I treat mine is priceless. I can tell immediately that their birds don't recieve the care they should. It's really sad. I'm so greatful I found this board and the people here to show me that being a pet bird owner can be so fulfilling. :happy:

Z28Taxman
08-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Low maintenance? Hmmmmm..... I spend more time taking care of Ditto than I do myself!

Oh well, off to let Ditto out to help me clean the cage and then bake the birdy bread! :)

Mummieeva
08-28-2005, 12:34 PM
:lol :rofl: Low matiences and inexpensive. When I first read it I thought yeah they do not require as many vists for shots but they are also more to pay at vets per visit. i cna not belive they printed that article. maybe we all need to write to that paper and tell them they are miss informed greatly?

Steph

p3rr4n
08-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Low maintanance? Thats rediculous, like Dave and Ditto, I spend more time taking care of Trix than I do myself too!

Last visit to the birdie store? 125 bucks. Time before that? 135 bucks.

Time? Hah! I spend more time with Trix than I do with myself too!

I say one of our experts calls the idiot who wrote that and sets the record straight. I will gladly give them a calling cars to do so. I would do it myself and there are many other people here more qualified to provide a more sound information exchange .

I can see it now. a dozen or more morons go read that article, buy some lovies, fail to do the first vavi vet visit, doesnt spend any time with them etc etc etc ... outcome?

Sad lovies who are neglected and imprisoned.

IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL TO THINK ABOUT IT. :mad:

How would you feel if someone stole your lovie and put it in jail, didnt keep its cage cleaned properly, didnt snuggle, give head scritchens, baths, or buy it 237 toys, didnt moniotr its diet, didnt give it ALL NATURAL fresh veggies, fruits.

If anyone is considering buying a lovebird and reads this, please consider this.

A Lovie has the intellegance of a young human child. I have read that they have the smarts of a 4 year old and I question that (I think its more like 6 years) because my Trix knows exactly what is going on, knows exactly what we are saying and knows how to manipulate us to get exactly what it wants. I have a great dog and Trix is far more intellegant than my Nitro.

Lovebirds NEED (not want) lots and LOTS of attention... they are social creatures and are born with an instinctive need for socialization, and REQUIRE a lot of attention.

Lovebirds and other parots can also be very expensive.

Trixie's first vet visit was $225 and wasnt even sick! God forbid something goes wrong, that could easily come out to a $500 Avian vet bill. Just ask some of our regulars.

Lovebirds also need to be seen by a vet with speciffic education and experience in order to be qualified to give the proper care a lovebird or Parrot needs. A regular neighborhood vet isnt going ot be able to properly diagnose or treat a parrot.

We have spent close to $1000 on our lovie in the first 7 months that we have had Trix.

Lovebirds are NOT low maintanence, unless of course one is owned by someone insensitive and neglects it.

Lovevbirds are a MAJOR commitment. Karen and I had to change our whole way of life when we got Trix. You cant wear perfume, hair products, have air fresheners in the home, spray cleaning solutions around it, and many many other things. These things can make a lovie very sick or even kill it.

However, if properly raised a lovebird can live between 20 and 30 years and can give you a lifetime of love, affection, joy, companionship and more. They have a NEED to bond. In my case Trix has bonded with me and needs me in its life, every day for many hours. Other owners buy them in pairs so they can have a bonded lovebird mate. Every individual situation is different. Point is, is that a lovie needs a bonded companion just as much if not more than humans need companionship.

So please think about all of these things before you commit to buying a lovebird or other parrot.

shylevon
08-28-2005, 02:19 PM
My birds have cost me more than my cat ever did.

They eat $60 of food a month and cost at least $200 each per year in vet costs and that's if they stay healthy.

My cat didn't see a vet until the very end and when she was getting her baby kitty vaccinations.

Someone should tell this woman that it is her type of mentality that breeds ownerships who refuse to take a small pet, like a bird, to the vet when it does need care let alone for yearly checkups.

LauraO
08-28-2005, 05:18 PM
You know I was thinking this morning as I was knee deep in crusty bird poops that it's a good thing birds are low maintenance pets, because I really don't have 5 to 6 hours a day to spend with a bird, buy and prepare special foods, change 10 water dishes once or twice a day, beg a vet to take the poor things in when they are ill, buy 50 to $100 worth the food and toys per month, go to several stores to make sure they have just the right stuff, or spend my weekends cleaning up the destruction they cause during the week :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Some of the article is ridiculous but it does have some good tips such as researching before you buy, joining bird groups and trying to talk with breeders. I would think if a person does these things they would find out that birds aren't really low maintenance. I also like that the article notes the long life expectancy and care larger birds need. I'd think the best way to address the article is to write an intelligent reply to the paper and maybe in the future the writer or paper will write something on proper bird care.

And don't forget, some birds are low maintenance as are the other animals that owners don't care for properly. I run through my neighborhood a couple of times per week and see countless birds, dogs, cats, etc. that are outside, ALWAYS, and are not really part of the family.

I will end by saying, though it is sad, that inproper care of birds and their quick deaths are good for the pet trade. It ensures the sale of more birds. That's why I feel so lucky to be part of this board. Everyone is so contientous and only wants the best for their fids and other pets.

mjm8321
08-29-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm low maintenance, my birds are not.

The article was written by someone who obviously didn't do her research and should be called on it.