PDA

View Full Version : The TRICKS thread

jaystak
02-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm new to lovebirds but I've got my guy doing a few tricks already. But I'm kinda out of ideas. I thought it would be good if there was a thread where everyone shared their trick success stories. Let's make a list of good tricks to teach our birds.

1.The Tunnel: This was easy to teach. All he does is run through a tunnel but I think he likes it. I just use a long milk carton (the square paper ones) with the ends opened out. Then I put him at one end and show him the treat in my hand at the other. He gallops down the tunnel and gets his treat and looks pretty pleased with himself.

Any other tricks that you had success with?

pam311
02-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Thats sounds very cute. You should post a youtube video of it.
My fids dont really do tricks but that have a way of 'saying' silly things at the appropriate times. My plet Hadji will nip my finger really hard and look a m and say "easy beakie". My QP will scream out "Where's Mommie" when I leave the room and Frankie the CAG, will scream out "Joe" when a door slams.
I have a flock of nut jobs but I love them all. My lovie, Ozzie is still learning the Craig house. ( I hate quarentine time)

Chickobee
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
There are lots of cute videos of lovies doing tricks on utube. I remember seeing one bird who would put little plastic pieces into a piggy bank, go down a little slide, wave, put rings onto a small post, etc.

Good luck!

Birkah
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
We taught Cipher to pick up Legos and drop them into the Lego container (instead of how he usually plops them into my coffee cup). It's really cute! Everyone cleans up their toys over here :rotfl

Z28Taxman
02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Ditto can play fetch.

He throws a ball across the room and I go get it. Wait.... Who's teaching tricks to who here? :rofl:

bird-brain
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Cabo does the pick up stuff and dunk it in your coffee trick too! He also pts his wiffle ball in his bath tub and bobs for it. But they aren't really tricks cuz he doesn't do that (or anything else for that matter) when I want him to. Sky gets on top of this thick rope ball that I have and rolls it all over the house while standing on it. One day I really am gonna youtube that cuz she looks like a little circus performer. hehe I have seen a lot of birds put the ball through the hoop (you know, those little tiny birdie basket ball hoops) since they tend to do this naturally, it would probably be easy to teach.

jaystak
02-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Yes I saw the Womack brothers site and I must admit I was interested. I emailed the site to know if their methods work for smaller birds like lovebirds too. I got no response so I started to wonder if their service was as great as they claimed. I signed up for the newsletter but I was still pretty unconvinced.