PDA

View Full Version : The Trixie Chronicles Part Two

shylevon
08-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Now, everyone here knows that only last Easter, our little Friend Trixie Bunny grew a nice big pair of Easter Bunny ears and helped hide chocolate and candy for the children in her neighborhood. Shortly thereafter the long ears fell off and Trixie’s loving daddy, Perran, is now keeping them in a thick volume of Herodotus. This is an event that will most likely occur yearly from now until times far off in the future. Trixie has many relatives who grow Easter Bunny ears and become other types of animals and creatures both known to exist on this planet and even some that are only thought to be mythical. Haven’t you wondered about the tales of unicorns and such, creatures that appear only to some and seem to disappear on the wind in an instant? Wonder no more of the magic involved in the family tree on little Trixie Bunny, for all will be revealed here.

Only last Christmas, in the middle of a dark and quiet night, Trixie met her third cousin twice removed. Her cousin’s transformation takes place every year on December 24, when he changes to a mighty reindeer and helps pull a gift-laden sleigh around the world in one night. That’s right, all those magic reindeer are Trixie’s relatives and Blitzen took the opportunity to introduce himself to her. There is many a child who has inquired as to how a reindeer can fly, and it is really a silly question once you know that Santa’s reindeer are all but lovebirds transformed for this special event.

But this is not a story of Blitzen, or even of Trixie Bunny. It is a retelling of the story that Blitzen imparted on Trixie to explain the strange happenings of last Easter, when those little bunny ears appeared for only one day. It is a saga that occurred long, long ago, perhaps before people took the effort to track such things as time, but they remembered well the stories that were told to them by their ancestors. This is the same story that was passed down all through the ages. It is no wonder that Trixie’s daddy keeps her fallen ears in a book by the great Greek author, Herodotus, as this story’s telling begins in that far off land when wizards and dragons and warriors still walked about like you and I. Without further delay, here is the tale, or the parts of it that were told to me.

In a great palace in ancient Greece there lived an evil woman who could change grown men to swine, and she did so quite frequently, just for the entertainment in it. She lived with many other women who also relished her tricks and games. She was named Circe, and you might think her a wizard, but she was more of an enchantress. She could whip up a potion or two that could bring you love, long life, or transform you to a wretched beast. She had in her palace a few lovebirds and you will be very sad to hear that she gave her evil potions even to these small helpless creatures to try for experiment. One such tiny lovebird was named Aethon, and her mate was Cerberus. One day Circe was doing her usual potion mixing and she gave a little sip to Cerberus. He was transformed in an instant to a three-headed dog with a tail that looked like a fire-eyed dragon. Aethon was forever horrified and missed her mate; who was later given as a gift to Pluto as a watchdog at the gate of his dominion. This was the evil of Circe, and the life of the terrified lovebirds that lived in her company.

Not all enchantresses are evil creatures though, and one such pleasant maiden, who saw the sadness in Aethon’s eyes, decided to rescue her from Circe’s palace and take her back to live in her own fine home in Colchis. She was the daughter of King Aetes (who really wasn’t a king at all), and the niece of Circe, but she was a kindly enchantress who learned only the helpful spells that were taught to her by her auntie. Her name was Medea, and she was the one who helped Prince Jason overtake the fire-breathing bulls and elude the dragon to acquire the Golden Fleece from her father. That was quite a tale in itself and little Aethon got to see the whole event unfold from her perch on Medea’s gentle shoulder. Now, the Talking Oak got much of the credit in that heroic tale, but the African Grey that lived high up in the boughs of that mighty tree was a meek and modest fellow and not wanting to draw attention to himself, he let the great tree take the praise for much of the wisdom he imparted that saved many a hero’s life. That is the way of some wise birds, Aethon learned.

Although Medea and her father lived in a huge palace and had all the rooms and servants a king could ask for, Medea’s father was a selfish and dishonorable man. He was not a nice chap at all and he did not allow the flying about of small birds, even very colorful and playful ones like Aethon. So sadly, Aethon was left in her golden cage, alone to play with her toys when her mistress, and savior, was not about to entertain her. When the princess had the time, she would sing beautiful songs to Aethon and Aethon would sing a more beautiful melody back to Medea, and this is how they spent many a pleasant day.

One day, however, Medea saw the great loneliness and sadness in Aethon’s eyes and inquired as to what was wrong. Aethon, sorry to admit the truth, told Medea that she did not like to be caged all the day, and wished instead that she had been borne of another creature so she could be free. Medea nodded her head in sympathy and took the tiny bird into her hand and asked Aethon if she should be let free to fly about the forests of Colchis and find a new mate. Aethon knew that a life in the wild would be to difficult and bade her mistress to return her to her tiny golden cage, where she would be sad and alone, but safe.

Several days later, Medea returned to her winged companion’s side with a small vial of a magic potion. Remembering the fate of her dear mate Cerberus, who henceforth lived as a three-headed dog, Aethon was too afraid to venture even a taste. Medea smiled gently, and since Aethon did trust the kindhearted girl, she bent her head down and took a tiny sip of the magic potion.

Aethon began to quiver slightly and feel a little bit ill in her tummy. She began to feel herself getting bigger and soon she wasn’t fitting inside the cage quite like she should. Then the golden bars of the cage burst loose and Aethon saw herself growing and turning white as the snow. Soon, before she knew what to believe, she stood before Medea in her new form, an elegant white horse, with a long wavy tail and silver hooves. Medea squealed in delight and jumped atop the beautiful horse’s back and they galloped out of the palace together. They spent the entire day and late into the evening prancing about the palace gardens and playing in the sun and surf, as the palace was right on the beach of the great ocean. Even the sea nymphs came to play with them and Aethon felt free and safe as any lovebird aught to be.

When the magic of the potion wore off, little Aethon would return to the hearth mantle in the palace and would sit atop her golden perch waiting for the next big adventure. And adventures they did have, for the rest of Aethon’s days with Medea she was transformed to any creature Medea thought suitable for that days exploits. One day she was a great elk, one day a tiny sparrow, a sly fox, a frisky spring foul, or a strong black bull. At the end of Medea’s days in Colchis, she asked Aethon what would be the fate she would choose for herself so that she would never need to be caged again. Aethon rather enjoyed being the beautiful white horse she had become on that very first day of adventures. Medea mixed up one last potion and Aethon took a long sip of the magic. She was transformed again to that white horse with silver hooves and a wavy tail; only this time, possibly because she had tasted more of the tonic than prior or perhaps because she really was a lovebird transformed, she was able to fly. She took to the sky and lived out the remainder of her days as one of the four horses that pulled the chariot of the sun god, Helios, across the sky.

Aethon had a few baby birdies in her time at the palace, with a nice lovie friend she met on the days when she did venture forth into the forest for a few hours of fun; with the other lovebirds brave enough to live in the wild. These babies didn’t stay in the palace, as the king would allow no more birdies than one. They went into the world and spread about the planet searching for adventures and mates. They, in turn, had their own families, but one thing kept them apart from other lovebirds. Probably because of the potions that Medea gave Aethon for most of her life, all the descendants of this special lovie will have the power to transform into other creatures, both of this world and from the world thought to be mythical. And transform they do, whenever they need a departure from life as a lovebird.

So, the next time you are driving down the road in your car and you see a fox, or a bear, or a deer, even a dog or a cat, you might trouble yourself to wonder if you are indeed seeing what you think you are, or if tomorrow this creature will not take to green-winged flight and bid a long missed hello to his cousin Trixie Bunny.

bellarains
08-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Shy,

That is some mind you have there. Are you sure you haven't written a book, or that you won't try one????? I think you could write wonderful short stories for children :)

kimsbirds
08-28-2005, 07:43 PM
I'd like to applaud shy for her creativity and I have a small request.

Do you think you could write a story about hemp seed addicted birdies??????

Janie
08-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Oh my.....Shy, you are something else! That is a great story!!!! :D

Not as good as Oliver's, but still just wonderful! :wink:

p3rr4n
08-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Dear Aunty Shy,

My daddy just read to me about my ancestors and now he knows part of the secret and I do too so thank you very much from the bottom of my heart for sharing this part of the secret. ;)

I know that had to take a long time to type and I appreciate it very much and so does my daddy and mommy.

He said he knew that I was more specialer than other lovies, and now he knows why.

The other day when he was playin his guitar and i was helping him I started to sing to him while he played, and he looked at me kinda confused like and I looked at him as to say "Hey its no big deal were just singing right? ;)

He was surprised! But of course I wasnt, I knew I could sing songs other than lovie songs cause I'm special. Right Aunty Shy? ;)

Thank you again for telling us about my ansestors and now me and daddy and mommy know why I grow ears at Easter time. Your stories are the bestest ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trixie Bunny

PS: Daddy said to tell you that he takes good care of my Easter ears.
:D

sdgilley
08-29-2005, 10:44 PM
WOW, so now we know where the Trixie Bunny mysteries began!

Shy, you are amazing! When you write a book, you'll remember to let us pre-order, right???

shylevon
08-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Yes, yes, books for everyone.

I'm glad you all liked the story of Trixie's ancestors. These little birds sure do come from mysterious beginnings, don't they? Amazing how they found their way into our lives.