PDA

View Full Version : We've had a breakthrough!! Don't give up!

jen
03-07-2010, 07:07 PM
So you may have seen me post abt to two brothers, sunny and sam who have been a bit nippy.

After a wing trim they started to quite down. I never did get around to separating them like I'd planned (of course me getting some new birds and needing the extra cage was a factor haha)

Being a stay at home mom I work with them lots and lots in trying to get them tamer, they will step up, ride around on your shoulder but that was it. Didn't like to be touched at all.

Well last night we had a sudden breakthrough. All of a sudden we can now pick them up by their bodies, pet their heads and stomach, hold their bodies with them lying on their back.. its simply amazing!!! (sorry we've been so excited we keep forgetting the camera lol)

So don't you all give up! Time and patience and love do work :)

(will get pics soon!!)

linda040899
03-07-2010, 10:11 PM
It took a while, but you have won their trust!! Birds learn through experience and some take longer than others. Human hands can be very scary things but yours now know that you mean them no harm and hands can do pleasant, fun things! :)

Way to go, Jen!

michael
03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Nothing like a few nips to help you's get to know each other.....:rolleyes:.....Sounds like you'll be tickling their feets in no time!...........:)

jk1944
03-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Congratulations, Jen! So pleased things are working out for you and sunny and sam.

jen
03-08-2010, 07:21 AM
:) thanks everyone!

Do they like their feet tickled? LOL

This certainly gives me more determination to work even harder with my other lovies. I do have my male blue black masked (Denny) eating treats from my hand so am getting there! My two new lovies (yet un named) are pretty wild too.. but I'll get em fixed up :) There is nothing like finally seeing results that's for sure :)

I want to thank everyone here in the forums for all your support and help, you've all truly been super wonderful!

Birkah
03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Yay!! All of the time and patience are definitely worth it for the affection of such a tiny little ball of feathers. :happy:

Oh - and Cipher LOVES having his feet tickled. He makes a funny little hiccupping sound when we do it. He'll lay on his back and waggle his feet for a tickling.

jen
03-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I'll have to try that! :)

Finally got some pics of me holding sunny!

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad166/jenholt3/DSCN0030.jpg

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad166/jenholt3/DSCN0033.jpg

JudiNh
03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Yay! Congratulations! Isnt it a wonderful, magical feeling, when you finally win the trust of a precious little bird? Amazing....enjoy!
Judi

Glam
03-08-2010, 10:11 AM
You're right Jen! Sunny does look a lot like Holly!

So glad that they have become more trusting of you, and are "allowing" you to handle them.

bookworm0550
03-08-2010, 10:35 AM
congratulations :)