PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family - and it's not a bird!

Buy A Paper Doll
03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Some of you know that my husband died unexpectedly last year. Well, my poor old dog took it just as hard as I did. She started acting out, and a year later, she's still having problems.

I realized she needed a companion, someone to be with her during the day. I went to look at puppies. Oh my gosh, so much work. Then I considered an older dog: What if the dog didn't do well around my birds?

So - in a moment of complete insanity, I got a kitten. Yes, you read that correctly, a kitten. She's an older kitten, 6 months. And she's a large breed, she is already as big as a fully grown cat. She is terrified of the birds. (Good. Let's keep it that way.)

It's taken a couple of weeks for the dog and cat to work things out. They still have their moments but for the most part they are great friends. Now they play together, cuddle, and even nap together.

Pips mom
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow, I didn't know about your husband.....I'm so sorry! What an aweful thing to have to go through! It's great that this kitten is afraid of the birds and getting along with the dog.....maybe a kitten was just the way it was meant to be! Congrats!

linda040899
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Congratulations on the new family member, Jennifer!

While cats are normally predators as far as birds are concerned, I've had 2 cats than never even looked at my birds! Of course, Harley left a convincing mark on both of their noses because the cats decided to check him out.......

Glad Maggie seems to enjoy the cat's company! :)

Buy A Paper Doll
03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Here's a quick photo (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/BuyAPaperDoll/Pets%202010/?action=view&current=IMAG0038.jpg) of Maggie and her new friend Mia.

So - for those keeping track, that's Milo, Maggie May, and Mia. Evidently I have a thing for 'M' names. Lily is the odd bird out, being the only pet in the house whose name doesn't start with an M.

bbslovie
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Aww, they are just adorable together! I too am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. ((((hugs))))

Barb

Glam
03-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Aww that is so cute! Wonderful that they are getting along so nicely, so soon!

Jally
03-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Ohmygosh! She's huge! But very pretty. I love her blue eyes. Congrats to Maggie on her new friend.

Chickobee
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Your kitten is gorgeous. Is she a lynxpoint? I had a kitten like that about five years ago and someone from work told me that's what she was.

I love the beautiful blue eyes and her fur coloring. It's so nice that she and Maggie are getting along so well too. They look so sweet together.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. (((((((((hugs))))))))))

Janie
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Congratulations on you new addition, Jen! I've had dogs and cats that were the best of friends and I'm sure the kitty will be great company for Maggie!

Love the photos of the two of them! :D

Buy A Paper Doll
03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Your kitten is gorgeous. Is she a lynxpoint? I had a kitten like that about five years ago and someone from work told me that's what she was.

She's actually a ragdoll, they have the pointed coloring and the big blue eyes. Mine is a bicolor blue - bicolor indicates the "raccoon mask" and white paws, and blue is gray in the cat world. I've seen the lynx coloring (tabby markings overlaying the facial mask) you're referring to, it's rare in ragdolls and really very pretty.

Enko_chan
03-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I am very sorry for your loss. I'm sure you do not want to get into private things here, but if you ever feel the need to, please do not hesitate to PM or e-mail.

On a positive note, congrats on the new kitten. A new addition to the family is always nice.

My mother has 2 cats and 2 dogs. One of the cats gets along with both dogs. That cat is the one that stays out of the bird room. She has been trained away from the birds since she was a very young kitten and knows to stay out of the bird room period. The other one is a hunter, no other thing about it- despite her training from an early age to stay away from the birds, and been raised with the dogs, she has to be watched all the time and kept away from the birds by the door to the bird room.

The hunter, in fact, is so good at what she does, we have had incidences when we've doubled and triple checked, closed the bird room door and then still had her pounce on the birds while they're out to play. So when the birds are out, she is locked up in a room with the litter box, scratching post, and a number of other things to keep a cat busy until pigs fly. When I'm there I'll eat a hard candy, rub a wrapper between my fingers, drive the cat nuts and then let the cat spend and entire afternoon killing the wrapper... cats are amusing, affectionate, easy to please if you know the sort of things they like, have interesting mysterious inner lives and keep their own counsel. I like them.

Buy A Paper Doll
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Mia's interest in the birds lasted maybe 5 minutes. She decided that the top of the bird cage was a nice, tall place to be. Until Milo discovered her up there. He bit her toes through the cage bars. Now she doesn't go up there anymore.

Still, you never know. I let the cat out in the same room as the bird cage when I'm home to supervise things, but when it's time to go to work, somebody has to go in a room with the door shut, whether it's the cat or the bird cage.

wilkiecoco
03-12-2010, 08:27 AM
I didn't know about your husband Jennifer - I am so sorry for your loss. How wonderful of you to get a companion for Maggie, knowing that she was suffering the loss as well. the picture of the two of them speaks volumes - how happy they look together. :)