PDA

View Full Version : My bird doesn't like me!

Markreyes
03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone, i have had my lovebird for over a year now, and he seems to be liking me even worse. He used to sit on my shoulder for the first few months and hang out with me, now the first thing he does is back into his cage and hide. I have tried many taming techniques i found, but nothing seems to work. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks, Mark.

linda040899
03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! :)

You refer to your lovebird as "he." Are you sure you have a male? Based on the behavior you are describing, it sounds like your lovebird is a she and she's going back to her cage because hens like to hide in places where they think they can build nests so they can have families. This is instinctive behavior, rather than anything you've done to damage the relationship you once had with your lovebird. It's not that she doesn't like you. She's just found somewhere else that she prefers to be, at least for now.

Have your tried taking her away from, and out of sight of, her cage?

Markreyes
03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Yes i have tried taking s/he to other rooms, but s/he still tries to fly away from me and hide anywhere s/he can. I have tried things i was told to do in books and from websites to get em back to not being so skittish, but it only seems to be getting worse. Now when i try to pick him/her up he starts shaking badly until i put him down.

I'm just concerned for his wellbeing. I don't want to force him to do anything but its just to hard to have him when hes like this.