PDA

View Full Version : A little too much love

piousm
03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
We now have our parents, Kiki and Gigi, and their kids Mossy and Minty, who are around 7 months old. We are pretty sure that Mossy is a girl, from behavior. In any event, Mossy is making none too subtle advances on Minty, which I dont think he is picking up on just yet. While that might be nothing to raise one's eyebrows at in certain parts of the world (sorry Tasmania), it is not really desirable behavior in Queensland, so we are keen to stop it. I am thinking that we might have to get a female for Minty and a boy for Mossy, but I dont want to have dozens of lovebirds in the house, so it crossed my mind to get sterile hybrids, thinking back to Scooby who was on the forum a while ago.

First, can you get sterile female hybrids as well as male and is there a resource that would let me identify them;
Second, the inside cage is about 4 feet high and 2 feet square. Currently it is divided into 2 cubes roughly of equal size by a removeable middle grid (a bit like the magicians box), and I keep a pair in each cube. I understand that 3 pairs of lovebirds might be able to get along in one cage - would that size (around 17 cubic feet) be big enough?

As always, any feedback would be appreciated.

piousm
03-17-2010, 12:03 AM
hmmm, well I understand that it is the peachface x eyering hybrid that is sterile, but I dont know whether they can be biys and girls or just one, like a mule. And I found a useful link to identify them http://www.albsaustralia.com/hybridlovebirds.htm (see last pic)

Still not sure about the size of the cage, though - I think it might be too small.