PDA

View Full Version : Need Help In Returning My Lovies to the Cage

elliemac
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Hello to All. This is my first time in Lovebirds Plus Community. I am a first time bird & lovebird owner. I've had them about 2 months and they are about 5/6 months old.
When I got them I was told that I could just go into the cage and just grab them. I was a bit skeptical about this because all the research I did said not to do this. Well I did what the breeder said and started to have some behavioral problems. The one lovie started to nip and guard the cage. I finally felt like I should take a different approach. I started by opening their perch door to let them come out on their own:confused. The one comes out easily onto my arm, will sometimes still nip, but flies off to the floor. The other is very scared but usually follows suit. Once they get away from me it is extremely hard to get them back. I literally chase them around until I can grab them. I know this is probably not what I'm supposed to do, but how do I get them back in the cage? How do I get enough handling time? :confused:

bookworm0550
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Can you lure them with treats? Unfortunately grabbing them can make it worse. I usually lure my biter back that way. Or I chase after one til he's a bit tired and then he will step up for me to bring him back.

bookworm0550
03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
And by "chase" I'm not running after them. I'm simply following him around

Pips mom
03-16-2010, 09:35 PM
First step....wing clip! this will slow them down! I had the same problems with Rudy when we first got him, but once he was clipped, he didn't stray too far from his cage while out, then once his wings grew out, we could let him out and he'd always fly back to his cage for us and go back in on his own. It's hard in the beginning, but you will work it out and find the best way. Rudy is fully flighted now and while out, he enjoys flying around and his freedom, but after a while, maybe an hour or so, he goes back to his cage, and if he doesn't go back, we kinda shoo him off the curtain rods and he goes back to his cage every time! It was rough the first few times with Rudy....we chased him so much a couple of times to get him back in that he was all out of breath afterwards.....it was stressful for him, but you learn how to work it out. A wing clip is the best place to start!

bookworm0550
03-16-2010, 10:36 PM
thanks pip's mom. i totally forgot about wing clipping. yes, you will find a way around it. it took me trial and error to find what works for me. the bird i "chase" is chompers. i don't do it very often cuz once i put his girlfriend away, he follows suit and goes into his own cage. and pan, as soon as he sees millet, he'll go wherever it goes. best of luck. :)

michael
03-17-2010, 12:35 AM
...........When I got them I was told that I could just go into the cage and just grab them. I was a bit skeptical about this because all the research I did said not to do this........ .

..........Once they get away from me it is extremely hard to get them back. I literally chase them around until I can grab them. I know this is probably not what I'm supposed to do, but how do I get them back in the cage? How do I get enough handling time? :confused:

Hi elliemac. ....Welcome to our community! ... Best advice....Do not attempt to grab your lovebirds. ..While there is a very small "disproportionate" number of parrots that might appear taken to this, for most, its a basic defense to succumb. ..This is generally not a good position for parrots to be in, and may even can cause more difficulties down the road. .... As Pips mom mentioned, a "mild" wing clip might just be the ticket needed to help get things in order. ... This would also be a good time to practice "step ups". ....(and as Bookworm mentioned... those all important millet hand outs too! :)) ...Have you checked out our "Behavior and Taming" forum yet? .... Don't forget our "Lovebird Resource Library" ... Lots of great stuff all throughout the community! .... Hope you join in!.............:)

Mummieeva
03-17-2010, 04:41 AM
Often times I would do the food and water change when it was out of cage time. That would normaly get them back into cage 90% of the time. A wing clip like Pip's mom stated is a good idea also.

Steph

elliemac
03-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for all your advice. They do have their wings clipped and still don't rely on me. I'm frustrated because I can't practice step up unless I do grab them and force them by going into my small bathroom. I think they would stay out of their cage forever if I didn't finally chase and grab. HELP! Any other ideas??????

linda040899
03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
They do have their wings clipped and still don't rely on me.
Are you saying they are clipped but still fly a bit too well? If that's the case, clip one more flight feather on each wing. When they land, offer a perch instead of your hand. Perches are not threatening like hands are. :)

bbslovie
03-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi, when I had Peaches he was fully flighted so I had the best luck when it was a smaller area, like the bathroom. Another thing that helped was dimming or turning off the lights. ;) I found that he just stayed put wherever he was and then I could get him to step up to go back to his cage!

I don't have the issue at all with Bea or Pallie. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

Barb :)

gina
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm looking for more tips on how to train my lovebird and came across this post. Thought I'd share something that's worked for me recently. Lately I found a very easy way to get my lovebird back in his cage. His wings are not clipped, so sometimes it could be very difficult. He could get angry and screechy if he isn't allowed to do what he wants. But, my lovebird LOVES playing peek-a-boo (or peek-a bird) and then ringing his bell. I'm not sure how we came across this, but he loves any attention in the cage that will let him ring his disco ball bell. So the past few weeks, I go to the cage and start playing with the disco ball and he gets really excited like and seems to feel left out. So he gets in the cage! I play the game with him after he is in there, then we're all happy. Sometimes he needs a little guidance to that cage door, but it's been the easiest technique I've learned yet. Maybe you could find a way to get your bird jazzed about some toy or bell in the cage or try playing peek-a-bird.

linda040899
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Gina,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us! You're right. Lovebirds want to do what THEY want to do when THEY want to do it! Very clever idea to combine something he loves with something you want. Sounds like a win-win situation. :)

michael
04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Nice maneuver Gina!......While we have no issues caging our lovies, dingy bells certainly help get their interest in other activities. ..Or just get their attention! ..... Bells are one Goofy lovebirds favorites. Whenever he hears one, he immediately heads for his playgym!.............:)

Bubblan
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Elliemac! I had the same problem as you with my 2 lovies when I first got them.The women I bought them from said that she used to grab them and sit with them until they calmed down. But I didn´t think that was a good way to start out mine and my birds relationship with. So I started with sticking my arm into the cage and offered my birds to sit on my elbow. And after a while they started to step up and when they stepped up on my arm I let them out of the cage. This way they learned that if they stepped up and sat for a while I would reward them with "flighttime". Maybe this can work on your birds too so you can gain trust. If they trust you to let them out it get´s easier to get them inside the cage again. And maybe a treat will help to ;) Many times it´s easier to get them inside when it´s close to bedtime aswell :)
Good luck!

shinbatsu
04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I had the same problem with my first lovebird, named Hawk. I gave him a good clip, and he would just run instead of fly away from me.

Try what worked for me to get him back in the cage.

Figure out what the bird likes to eat, then lure him back with it. Or just lure him to your finger, and put the treat behind it so the bird has to step up in order to reach the food. Once that is done keep it focused on eating (be sure it's facing you so it can't see the cage when you walk up to it, and walk SLOWLY) I found that if the bird is too busy stuffing it's face and can't see the cage approaching, you can gently put him in and close the door over your arm and slowly pull out to prevent a suicide dive back out of the cage. When he gets back to the cage, give a fast reward to ensure the bird equates going back to cage with reward. It gets easier as time goes on.

bird-brain
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM
I had this problem with Cabo. Soooo, I started moving the cage to the bathroom before I allowed him out. It was much easier to get him comfortable with stepping up on a COVERED HAND in the small space. He is clipped but flies very well. They are naturally curious so I would just lay toys etc on the floor and sit and allow him to climb all over me if he chose. He hated the floor. They always look for high ground. In the end he would climb onto my sleeved hand and just ride to the cage.