PDA

View Full Version : New oven/microwave/dishwasher

CompassionAk
03-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Ok it's one week until I will be moving into my new apartment and I'm getting really excited...and nervous! The apartment is brand new so the appliances have never been used and I want to make sure I burn off any junk that might have been used during shipping.I mentioned the coatings to the landlord and they said they would crank the oven off to burn off any residue,but I want to do it myself to make sure it is done properly.

There is no self cleaning feature on the oven so to get it really hot I will need to use the broil feature. I am wondering exactly what would be the best way to burn off the residue? Would it be best to turn the heat up all the way and leave it on several hours or use the broil feature?If I use the broil feature how long should I have that on for?

Do manufacturers coat dishwashers with PTFE?How many cycles on hot would be needed to clean it up if so?

Also wondering about the microwave and what would be the best method to rid it of any coating.I don't use a microwave but I still want to make sure it's cleaned out before I bring the birds over. I was thinking if getting a bag of potatoes and just cooking a bunch.

After everything has been burned off what is the earliest I can bring the birds over? I might be able to go over to the new place on March 31 to do this,but not 100 % sure.If I can't get in on March 31 to do this I will have all of April first to do anything that needs to be done. We have the movers scheduled to pick up all of our stuff April second late in the morning and I would be able to keep the birds at our current location until about five PM April second.

My main question is if 36 hours be enough time for it to become safe to bring the birds back? There are 3 windows in the kitchen and I can bring a couple fans to help air circulation.

I appologize if I may have asked these questions before and sound like a broken record,but I am so nervous about the new appliances and that protective coating so many manufacturers use!

linda040899
03-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Do manufacturers coat dishwashers with PTFE?How many cycles on hot would be needed to clean it up if so?
To the best of my knowledge, no. I just bought a brand new Kitchenaid dishwasher and the interior is 100% stainless steel. The inside of my old one was enamel. The only things inside the dishwasher, besides dishes, are hot water and dishwasher detergent. Non-stick is not necessary.

I also got a new microwave several months ago, and it had no coating anywhere from shipping.

Check with the manufacturer of the oven to see if they use anything during shipping. My guess is that the answer would be no.

Is there new carpeting on the floors? That would be a much bigger concern for me. It takes roughly 3-4 months for new carpeting to off gas so I would be asking about that.

Enko_chan
03-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Not sure about the cheaper models of the dishwashers. In the apartment complexes they just love in the NW United States, we had the cheap-o-matic everything's super new and spiffy looking but super cheaply made. I wouldn't count on SS or enamel on the inside of anything if you're moving into a complex like that. I'm not trying to make fun of a place you're potentially moving into, especially considering the place I'm describing is pretty much everywhere I lived on the west coast save the ones that were out and out rustic with no amenities to speak of. Now we don't have a dishwasher, and haven't since I've had birds, so its never something I've thought of... couldn't hurt to check the label on your walk-through and call the company that makes 'em. They really do like to stick that stuff in place you would never suspect.

I would worry about fresh paint, off-gassing from new carpets/curtains/furniture (basically whatever applies in your situation) as well. Positive thoughts coming your way. Moving is such a stress and a chore and keeping a flock safe makes things infinitely more complicated!

CompassionAk
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM
There is no carpet in the new place (jump for joy!!!) ,it's floating laminate and has been in place at least a month. The walls have been painted for over a month as well and there is no smell in the unit at all. I had contacted the manufacturer and asked if any PTFE parts were used in the appliances,but I forgot to ask about if anything had been coated for shipping. The appliances are all Kenmore brand and look well made so I'm hoping they aren't cheaply made and there won't be any problems with stuff falling apart lol.

Linda,will 36 hours be enough time to air the place out after using the stove the first time? There are two windows just a couple feet from the stove and another about 12 feet away and I have a couple fans I can take over to help air circulation.Should I use the broil feature or cook on high for several hours?

Sorry for asking such silly questions but I'd rather ask a stupid question and have the brids safe then not ask at all.

linda040899
03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Angie,
36 hours should be fine, especially if the windows are that close! Whirlpool makes a lot of the Kenmore appliances and most of what I have in my kitchen is Whirlpool. I've never had a problem with any of them as far as any kind of coating burning off during the first use.

Yours are not silly questions! You're just a very concerned fidma and there's nothing wrong with that! :)

CompassionAk
03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Thank you Linda!

Birkah
03-26-2010, 03:00 PM
To clean my microwave, I just soak and wring out a big kitchen towel and zap it for a minute. The steam will help loosen up any residue that you're worried about, and just wipe it away.

On a related note, how do I find out if the little burner plate doohickey (like my technical jargon?) on my coffee maker has PTFE? The coating is looking kind of worn in spots, since it gets a LOT of use.

NickyBeth
03-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Birkah, coffee makers all have a teflon bottom so that the coffee doesn't burn onto the glass/stainless steel decanter.

Blow dryers also have it on the inside as well. So do curling irons and straighteners...

CompassionAk
03-27-2010, 12:50 AM
I got one of those coffee makers with an insulated coffee pot and I LOVE it! It doesn't use a heated bottom to keep the coffee hot and there's no worry about a non stick bottom and it helps save on the electric bill too.

CompassionAk
03-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Yay I talked to the owner and he said I can come in on the 31st to do whatever I need to do. I'm not sure when the earliest will be that I can go over because I will have to wait and call that day since the crew might be doing some last minute touch ups.
Even if I get in at 6 pm that will still give me 48 hours to air that place out and that should be more then enough time. I'm so excited =)

jimpierce
03-27-2010, 11:53 PM
to burn off the oven, run the bake element for 15 minutes and then the broil element. Simply cycle the dish washer making sure it is on heated dry mode. That way the element inside the DW has a chance to burn off as well.
There really isn't anything to do with a microwave other then use it.
It really sounds to me like you are about ready to move in!!
Being an apartment maintenance man I find appliances to be a real kick. There are like 80 different brands, but only 20 manufacturers. And who makes who this week may not next week. lol

CompassionAk
04-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Yay went over to the new place and cranked up the heat,ran the dishwasher through 2 high heat pots and pans cycles plus heated drying,baked a bag of potatoes 2 at a time in the microwave,heated up pots of water on the burners several times and swapped between broil and bake functions on the stove for about 4 hours.

I Left all the windows open and fans on and I'm going back first thing in the morning to run it all a couple more times to be on the safe side. The owner had gone in and turned the oven on a couple days before I went in today so it wasn't too stinky when I turned the oven on yay!

I'll be so happy when this move is over and done with! I'm really going to miss our view,but I think losing the view for a place where we can actually save money towards a down payment on a house is well worth a couple years of a blah view! One cool thing was I could hear an Eagle right outside so hopefully I'll catch some wildlife!

PS-thanks Jim for the helpful tips!

CompassionAk
04-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Yay we're all moved in and everybirdie has made themselves right at home! I'm glad that they haven't been stressed out by the move and that it all went smoothly.

linda040899
04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Glad to hear that the move went well and that everyone is settling in, Angie!

Moving is never easy and it's always a bonus when none of the flock is stressed out by what happened. :)

CompassionAk
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Oh forgot to mention there's a forested area not far from the kitchen and living room windows and there is a family of Eagles who live there! I haven't seen the nest,but I have seen Mom,Pop and two babies so far! It was really cute watching then fly around with their parents. I took a video and some pics,but my computer is shot and I don't have a program on this computer to upload pics,I'll try to get one later I'll put some up.

CompassionAk
04-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Here's a pic I took of three adults http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/compassionak/new%20place%20woo%20hoo/newplace014-1.jpg I am hoping to get one of the babies later =D