PDA

View Full Version : Humane Society frustrations

CompassionAk
03-31-2010, 01:55 PM
So yesterday I was on our local Freecycle site putting some things up that I want to get rid of and I see this post:

"My fiance and I just adopted 3 lovebirds from the Gastineau Humane Society. We are looking for gently used bird toys, baths, or partially empty bags of lovebird food."

So I contact the girl because I have all these toy parts and I will probably never use all of them. She's very nice but knows absolutely nothing about lovebirds and the Humane Society didn't give her a fact sheet or anything so she had no idea what sort of things are harmful for birds. I am just in shock because I thought the Humane Society is supposed to help prevent willy nilly breeding and I feel like they put this girl in a situation she isn't prepared for!

I gave her the website here so hopefully she will come by,I also told her if she ever has any questions at all she can call or email at any time. I just feel frustrated with the humane society here right now. After I get settled in from moving I'm going to print a bunch of fact sheets and take them there so they can give them out with the birds they rehome.

Birkah
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Awesome idea!! Send me a copy when you do it, and I'll take it to our shelter (and add contact info for our avian vet), since they have birds available from time to time.

CompassionAk
03-31-2010, 02:37 PM
I was thinking of using this from the resource library http://www.cottageworks.com/robinsnest/guide.htm it's what I gave out when I rehomed Boo and Annies babies and it has a nice printable version. If anyone has a link to one that isn't lovebird specific let me know!

thebubbleking
03-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Our hs offers nothing but has you sign a cotract saying you wont eat or sell your new pet for food :(

CompassionAk
03-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Ugh that's awful.

Enko_chan
04-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Humane Society is any OXYMORON.

Tango's_Mom
04-01-2010, 07:33 AM
K guys, I'm gonna have to speak up, I work at the local humane society here, and I'm sorry but I still believe it's the potential owners responsibility to do the research on any pet they are considering adopting. Most humane societies run purely on donation, so most of the staff is working part time for min wage. And while my colleagues may know plenty about cats and dogs, most of them, just like any other average person who is not a bird owner do not have the knowledge that many of us here have. I have been meaning to make up fact sheets for all of our small animals for a while, but when you're caring for many, many animals, there is always something that needs doing more urgently, we suggest to every adopter that comes through the door that they go home and do their research and make sure they are prepared, and when i get the opportunity I try and give bird adopters especially as much info as I can. But you can talk until you're blue in the face, and it doesn't mean that any of it will get through. Recently a family was interested in a bird we had, i told them to go home, do research, they said they had been researching, and i spent a few minutes talking about basic care, housing etc. That didn't stop them from showing up the next day with a tiny, homemade bamboo cage with pipe cleaners for perches. I unfortunatly wasn't there, my coworker managed to talk them into a just slightly more suitable cage, and that was all we could do, because it's actually really difficult to deny applicants for small animals and birds, even cats. Dogs have conditions set on them by our behaviourist that adopters have to meet, but that is really the best we can do. So before you start jumping on Humane Societies and their staff, maybe you should walk a mile in our shoes. I get to deal with and get put in situations everyday, that are not to my liking, but we our doing the best that we can within our means to do the best for all of the animals in our care, and unfortunately when 90% of our animals are cats and dogs, we don't have a lot of bird experts running around, or even any, since I don't count myself an expert, nor do I think any of the couple of other people that are familiar with birds do.

linda040899
04-01-2010, 08:58 AM
If anyone has a link to one that isn't lovebird specific let me know!
To be the most effective, you need care sheets that are species specific when you are dealing with birds/parrots.

As the owner of an informational site, I can see things from both sides here. I've been to our local humane society and it didn't take me very long to realize that they are not experts when it comes to knowledge of the animals they are adopting out, nor should they be expected to be. I go right back to the potential adopters and feel that they should do their homework before taking on the responsibility of an animal.

I just adopted my second small dog since December and I can tell you that I spent quite a bit of time researching the different breeds that interested me. Behavior characteristics, as well as potential health issues, were concerns for me. I just adopted a cute, 1 yr old Chihuahua Min Pin mix 2 days ago and he's heartworm positive. I took the week-end to investigate methods of treatment and potential costs associated with that treatment. Turns out that this one is not expensive because of his age but I needed to know that before I made the commitment. It doesn't do anyone any good if I get myself into a situation that won't work because I can't afford it!

I think it's a wonderful thing if those of us who have knowledge of various species of bird could share it with those who need it. :) Our pets can only benefit from what new owners learn about them.

That's my :2cents:

Enko_chan
04-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Care sheets are SO IMPORTANT! They make an enormous difference. I was part of the campaign of letters to PETCO and PETSMART Corporate that got them to start using Caresheets, and every time I see one, it puts a smile on my face. If you can get them to use them in even one HS location, the lives of those animals adopted from there will be greatly improved. Another thing you may do is pester your immediate superior, within reason to protect your job security, I know how things are at a time like this, to get them to step up the rigors of adoption application.

I am not knocking the lower-level volunteers and employees. It is not your jobs to make sure things are run properly at the humane societies, though kudos to you for working your butt off to move a mountain, I have a great deal of respect. However, the people who run the Humane Societies in the United States are a greedy front who are making things worse for the animals they deign to help, and this is just another sad example. There are many struggling, honestly run rescues out there that do put in the time, money and effort to help the animals that they take in and do not pay their executives seven or eight figures.

I would like to point out the process that some rescue organizations put potential owners through. I would also like to point out that I also worked for an organization that was NOT FOR PROFIT, being a step down in profit making from NON PROFIT, were a local-run chapter I was a volunteer. I would have defended them too and did not and do not mean to offend ANYONE who works or volunteers to help animals. That is not and was not my intent. We were small and local and closed down some time ago when absorbed by a larger rescue organization and I have long since moved across the country, but there ARE much more responsible ways to do things! I simply find it unfortunate that Humane Society is the name everyone knows and thinks of when they want to adopt an animal companion when there are places out there that will actually take the time to educate you, and I feel sorry for the poor animals who cannot speak for themselves that end up in these sad situations.

This is an example of part of the application process Beaks and Noses of Billerica MA puts a person through when they adopt, and that is only part. You also sign a cage size aggreement, agree to toss your nonstick, to yearly and emergency vet visits, etc. It IS possible for a rescue to take the time to make sure its animals go to good homes.

This is their application:

Bird care is a serious responsibility. BEAKS AND NOSES INC. policy is to insure that each person adopting a bird can provide suitable housing, is morally and financially capable of providing for the bird, and is educated in proper care and nutrition for the bird. You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt a bird from BEAKS AND NOSES INC. . This application is designed to provide BEAKS AND NOSES INC. with necessary information to begin an adoption placement. Please answer all questions and return to the above address. A representative of BEAKS AND NOSES INC. will contact you and a home visit may be scheduled. If any questions are left unanswered, your application will not be processed.
Household Information
Your Name Partner’s Name
Your Age:  18–25  26–45  46–65  66+ Partner’s Age:  18–25  26–45  46–65  66+
Do you have children living (full- or part-time) in your home?  Yes  No If yes, please list names and ages below:
Name Age Name Age
1) 3)
2) 4)
Home Address
City State Zip Code
Home Phone Home Fax
Your E-mail Partner’s E-mail

Your Employer Your Occupation
Years Employed There Your Work Hours
Your Work Address
City State Zip Code
Your Work Phone Your Work Fax

Partner’s Employer Partner’s Occupation
Years Employed There Partner’s Work Hours
Partner’s Work Address

Who will be the primary caregiver(s) for this bird?
Are all parties in the household aware that this adoption application is being made?  Yes  No
What type is your residence?  House  Condominium  Apartment  Other
Do you rent or own your home?  Rent  Own If renting, does your landlord allow pets?  Yes  No
Landlord’s Name Phone
Does anyone in your household have a health condition(s) that could restrict his/her ability to handle/care for a bird?  Yes  No
If yes, please describe

Does anyone in your home have allergies?  Yes  No If yes, please list

Does anyone in your home smoke?  Yes  No
Do you currently have other birds living in your home?  Yes  No If yes, please list species and how many:
Species How Many? Species How Many?
1) 3)
2) 4)
Have you previously owned birds that you no longer own?  Yes  No
If yes, why do you no longer have these birds? What happened to them?

Do you currently have any other pets living in your home?  Yes  No If yes, please list species and how many:
Species How Many? Species How Many?
1) 3)
2) 4)
Describe your daily routine at home

Does the routine differ on weekends?  Yes  No If yes, how?

Do you currently have an avian veterinarian?  Yes  No If yes, please provide contact information:
Avian Vet’s Name Clinic Name
Clinic Address
City State Zip Code
If no, do you need a list of avian veterinarians in your area?  Yes  No
Do you need instruction and/or information regarding proper bird care and quarantine protocol?  Yes  No
Anticipated Household Changes
Do you or your partner plan to make a significant change in employment or occupation in the future?  Yes  No
If yes, please explain
If you do not have children now, do you plan to do so in the future?  Yes  No
If your primary or family relationship(s) were to change significantly, would you be able to keep your commitment to a bird?
 Yes  No Why or why not?

If your living and/or financial situation were to change dramatically, would you be able to keep a bird?  Yes  No
Please describe the lifestyle changes you might anticipate over the next 5 years? 10 years? 25 years?

When you travel or go on an extended vacation, who will care for your bird?

What provisions have you made for your birds and/or other pets in the event of your illness or death?

Bird Interests & Experience
How did you learn about BEAKS AND NOSES INC. ?
What experience do you have with captive birds?

What resources have you consulted on the proper care of captive birds?

What is the most important characteristic you are looking for in a bird?

What species of bird are you interested in adopting?
Why this species?

What resources have you consulted on this particular species?

What are some traits/needs particular to this species?

Explain proper care and nutrition for this species

Explain proper housing for this species

Are you interested in adopting for breeding purposes?  Yes  No
List other bird species you currently breed
If your adopted bird developed a behavioral problem, how would you deal with the problem?

References
Please contact information for at least two people, other than relatives, who have known you well for five or more years:
Reference 1 Name
Address
City State Zip Code
Phone E-mail
Reference 2 Name
Address
City State Zip Code
Phone E-mail

I understand this bird must remain in my home. If my circumstances change, I understand I must contact BEAKS AND NOSES INC. . I will forward any changes to my address(es) and/or phone number(s) to BEAKS AND NOSES INC. .
I also agree to a home visit prior to approval, and I understand that a BEAKS AND NOSES INC. representative may make periodic visits to my home. I also understand that BEAKS AND NOSES INC. may contact my references prior to approval of this application.

CompassionAk
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I like the part about bird interests and experience,I think it would help show that potential new owners at least have some small clue and have done a bit of research on the bird they are interested in adopting.

Today is move day so no internet for me for a few days to a week,but I will definately be printing up some ideas and make shift fact sheets to see if the HS would be interested in using them. I'd love to offer specific fact sheet for every species,but I think that might be pushing things too much so I'll just print out the basics like what is toxic and healthy foods etc. as well as a list of websites. If anyone has any other ideas let me know because I appreciate the advice =)

NickyBeth
04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
IMO, applications are useless. People can put whatever they want to ensure they get the animal. I know of people that do this firsthand.

Personally, the person that is the potential adopter should do at least a little research. For heaven's sake, there is always Wikipedia.

Babies don't come with direction sheets, I had to learn as I went along. I now have two humans that somehow made it as far as they did with the knowledge I have/asked about/gained from reading. Potential pet owners should do the same!