PDA

View Full Version : Spring Brings New Developments to Our Flock

Enko_chan
04-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I wanted to say hello and to check in. I had three weeks of feeling great and used them to catch up on all that I missed from the six weeks of being completely out of commission... followed by a full flare-up, swelling and migraines and the full bit, so I haven't been around. I've missed you all and your flocks have been in my thoughts. Between my swollen hands and tunnel vision/photosensitivity I have had a difficult time reading/posting. I will make a quick post to let y'all know what's been happening around here, though. Our flock has been growing up!

I have spent a lot of time with the birds, they keep me positive through anything, I swear. They're the best shield against pain and negative thinking.

Kokoro is maturing. Today he told me he pays the rent! Yesterday morning I woke up to the strangest noise I've heard in a while. In a bedroom full of parrots, that's saying something. I searched the room, and the noise stopped, all the parrots appeared inconspicuous. This continued for some time. Finally, I caught Kokoro humping his rope perch, though he stopped as soon as he realized he had an audience. I told him its a normal thing to do, a part of life and growing up and he needn't be embarrassed. Since, he has done so unabashedly from time to time.

Such topics brings us to my other little humper: Odinn. He is back to humping. He humps night and day. Literally. While he doesn't hump quite as CONSTANTLY as he did before, i.e. he still has crotch feathers this time around, though the spring is young- he even wakes up in the middle of the night, leaves the nest box (as they are both males, and use the thing as a club house, and they keep it immaculate, I let them keep it as a place to sleep) to hump. He humps several times a night. Freyja also humps, but Odinn takes the cake. He does it about once a minute all day, and about once every fifteen minutes all night.

Odinn does, I am happy to say, take a break in his pleasure activities to explore and visit out of the cage. He has been doing very well since he came out of his shell, and Freyja has been doing great, too. Since Chris has been so busy, they have bonded with me, but their bond with Chris hasn't waned. I suppose we couldn't have asked for anything better with these guys. They're very happy to hang out with either of us, but they are over the moon if they get both of us together. On Friday mornings, Chris and I spend hours playing with the lovies. Mornings are the lovies favorite times to come out to play, and Friday is the only day Chris and I are available to spend time with them like that- so we dedicate that time to them. At the end of that time, one Friday afternoon, something interesting happened. Odinn grew bold and went over to visit Kokoro.

Thus began the friendship of the lovies and Koko. I am always right there to scoop someone up should there be any trouble, but for the most part, it seems like an excellent friendship. They all seem to benefit from the interaction and I am especially glad for Koko's sake that he has another bird to interact with regularly.

Benny and Sayuri continue to get closer and closer. Sayuri said her first word "Sweetheart". That is the only word every one of my birds can say. Its the ONLY word both Sayuri and Odinn can say. :whistle: Sayuri is a fun little lady. She is very well-behaved and boy does that girl LOVE to swing! Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and she is swinging away. She really knows how to make her wing GO, too. She plays nicely with Benny AND with Chris and I, which is nice and unexpected, I had thought it would be one or the other. For that matter, as they get closer, Benny mellows out more and more. Now Benny spends time with me and he isn't desperate to have me as his mate, he's just affectionate and sweet. I had been willing to give up my bond with Benny for his happiness, I wasn't expecting to keep it. Its very nice.

I was playing with Ben last night and Chris said he thinks Benny understands what I was willing to sacrifice for him. I said "Benny, I was willing to give up my bond with you so you could be happy"

He said "Thank you" (When Benny says "thank you" he does this very cute thing where he bows down and shugs his wings a little, it is too precious for words.)

I don't know if he really understood, but it was sweet nonetheless. :blush:

Pips mom
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Glad you are all doing well! I am seeing the humping thing quite a bit here too, and Pip always has somewhat worn feathers underneath from it, but it never looks really bad.....just a few thin spots and they always disappear when he molts and grow in nicely. I had to remove another toy from Rudy's cage.....not only is he a humper, but a gacker as well :roll: He found a toy that has just a tiny bit of soft rope on it and I knew he had been humping it, but then noticed him regurgitating on it and then eating it.....gross! so away the toy went! I'm going to wash it good and give it back after spring passes and see if he's better about it then.

thebubbleking
04-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Awsome and always nice to be upadted on you n yer flock :)

bookworm0550
04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Wait! Both lovies are boys?!! Where did I miss that?

Enko_chan
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Did I never tell you guys that Frey's a boy?

Yup, Freyja's male. I don't want to have an identity crisis on my hands, so we've just kept the name, and the pronouns.

Koko isn't fooled. When we go around the room saying everyone's good, and I say Frey's a "good girl" Koko says "Good BOY, Good BOY"

Ah, Koko. Nothing gets by that one. He's always telling me I'm a good girl when I do things he likes. He thinks my training is going well. He's also taken to calling Chris and I by our first names. Always a step ahead of me.

michael
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow!...... What an update! .... Thats one busy flock ya got going on over there. ...As Cheech and Chong might say..."Far out man". ....:D.....You know, I always enjoy reading your posts two three times as a way to re-enact the events. ... Thanks for the update. And stay positive!.......:)