PDA

View Full Version : Shark Euro-pro portable steam cleaner safety

CompassionAk
04-18-2010, 09:15 PM
I heard so many great things about steam cleaners and I decided to get one today from Costco,it's a Shark Euro-pro and comes with all sort of attachments and I was all excited to come home and try it out but when I plugged it in some smoke that smelled like burning plastic came out from the area the trigger is and now I am too afraid to use it!

I figured I should double check here to see if anyone else had the same problem in case it is just a "burning in" period that it needs to go through or if I got a defective cleaner. I wish I could get a Mccullough but they don't sell those here and the shipping is crazy.

linda040899
04-18-2010, 09:36 PM
I have McCullough and I got that same smell briefly when I used mine for the first time. I was in the bathroom with window open so it didn't affect any of my birds. The smell went away very quickly and it's been fine since then.

CompassionAk
04-22-2010, 05:47 PM
I ended up taking my steam cleaner back and exchanging it for a differnt one because I just had a feeling something wasn't right. The second one I brought hom didn't smoke at all,it did have a light odor when I plugged it in the first time but nothing like the first. I used it to steam my matress and freshen it up,used it on the quilts my grandmother made years ago that I have hanging on my walls and that took all the wrinkles out and made them look great,used it on our lazy boys and cleaned the large flight cage!

Ok I had my doubts about it's ability to clean the cage but boy this thing just rocks! I was able to blast out crud that was stuck between the roof and cage sides and that silly looking steam pocket just glided across the cage bars and picked up so much gunk! I am pleased =D

bird-brain
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I have a shark, but I don't have the Euro Pro. I have the hand held with all its attachments and the separate floor steamer. I have not had a minutes trouble and really cant complain about the performance. I usually pressure wash the cages then sanitize with the heat from the steamer. Guys, Please keep in mind when heat cleaning, there IS a time factor involved just like with hand washing about 15 seconds. Also, check the rated temp of your steamer as Salmonella takes a higher heat to kill than some other organisms. Just a quick once over with a steamer will not take the place of bleach but IF you take you time and clean thoroughly with a steamer you get good sanitization without the harsh chemicals.