PDA

View Full Version : Open your mouth and say ahhh

bird-brain
04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
And that's just what Kenya did today. She was a real trooper at the vets today. I have not seen this avian vet before (there are two that travel to a fairly local clinic). I liked her, thought she was thorough. She felt that Kenya was definitely a bit under nourished but wanted to refrain from recommending supplements or any changes from what I am already doing pending lab results.

Now the real funny news....leg bands, and small towns and unusual looking birds...the vet felt and then verified based on leg band number that she has seen this bird before. (they record band numbers in case of a lost or stolen bird) Kenya's mother is a blue mask/fischers cross for sure. Kenya and a sibling were brought in by the breeder when their coloration came in so odd after their first molt. Her parents are each 13 years old and still breeding. The pair had never produced odd coloring until the '07 clutch and hasn't since to the vets knowledge (she is going to pass my number to the breeder and hopefully she will call). The siblings were sexed by this clinic, one male one female. I am told the male had fischer's coloring on top, blue on bottom with blue shot through his green wing feathering. The vet considers Kenya a halfsider because her brother was basically identical to her blue side all over. She feels that blue is a trait that would be passed in breeding and told me why but bird genetics make no sense to me so I can't tell you anything more. She feels that her lack of egg laying has been due to nutrition not genetics.

She also said that as she was with no other birds and shows no signs of illness, if the labs look good she would allow careful introduction to the other birds and for go quarantine any longer due to Kenya's stressing about hearing and not seeing the other birds. She cautioned regarding the conure especially because of size difference and Kenya being so submissive and the potential for jealousy if Cabo takes strongly to a new lovie. (I honestly worry more about Cabo). But I thought this was great news!:rofl:

CompassionAk
04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
How exciting! I'm glad you got to take Kenya in and find out about her history. I wonder how long the lab work will take?

linda040899
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Talk about an odd way to get information!!! Because Kenya is an eye-ring x eye-ring cross, he/she is capable of reproducing. It's interesting to learn the age of the parents, too, as most pairs are not producing much past 8 or 9. That means they are well cared for or they would have burned out by now!

The vet sounds pretty thorough to me and I'm glad you had Kenya examined. If nothing else, it's peace of mind and there's no value on that!!

Enko_chan
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Looks like the book is closed on some of the Kenya mysteries!

I hope all the rest turns out well so that she can begin her transition into the birdie living space. I know the stress a new bird goes through hearing, but not seeing... especially when there is a bird similar to their own kind in the house! That is why I expedited things with Sayuri's QT, her having been by herself for the previous 30 days before coming home to us, from a breeder I trusted... and given a clean bill of health with clean labs... if she had been stressed to begin with, that would add to the reasons.

You're doing a great job with Kenya. I look forward to seeing how she blossoms as she continues to heal.

bird-brain
04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Since today is Friday, I most likely will not have lab results until Monday or Tuesday. Crossing my fingers that it wont take any longer than that.

And yes Linda, it is an odd way to get info LOL! But being in such a small town has its advantages (my kids do NOTHING I don't hear about)! There are a couple of equine vets and avian vets that travel around all of these small rural areas. Some of my best horse show gossip comes from the vets and the farriers :D