PDA

View Full Version : A companion?

Dodo
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I've been thinking for the past while of whether or not Frodo would be happier with a companion. She's been on her own for 10 years now and something just seems so sad and kind of wrong about her spending an entire life without interacting with others of her own kind.... up until this past year I was living in a situation which would not allow for a second bird, but now that I have more freedom, it's something that's been on my mind a lot, especially considering the issues she had a few months ago with plucking and mutilation (it's been months now- knock on wood- since she's had any problems). Of course, the other bird would be housed in a separate cage, and I'd want to take it in for a full vet exam, do the quarantine, etc...my boyfriend and I were discussing getting a different type of bird (pionus and gcc seem to be our top choices) but I've just seen an ad for baby lovies free to a good home and perhaps that would be a better choice? Has anyone else introduced a new bird to an only-bird household after such a length of time? Would she be happier remaining on her own? She calls to the birds outside all the time and gets so excited when she catches sight of her reflection...are these signs that she's searching for a bird companion?

bird-brain
05-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Cabo was not an only bird for long with me but he spent some time alone in the pet shop, still not nearly as long as Frodo. Then came the day that Skye followed me home :whistle: and he was like a different little bird. Now that we have adopted Kenya (another fischer's) he still loves his Skye bird but he is very protective of Kenya, is obviously showing her the ropes so to speak and just seems more natural. It's not gonna be right for every bird (Skye HATES Kenya). The worst that could happen???? All sorts of things that you already know. I will say that my conure chose the people over the lovie. Every bird has it's own personality. I will also say that having another and very untamed lovie has not made Cabo any less tame. He tries to entice her to interact with her people flock. He has shown us that this is very important to him. He was never the most tame lovie himself but he is being very affectionate in an effort to make her understand that we won't hurt her.

Dodo
05-05-2010, 10:11 PM
It's amazing how hard Cabo is trying to acclimatize Kenya (I just read some of it in your other thread). Lovies are such wonderful little beings- and sometimes so surprising! I've talked it over some more with my bf and he's okay with a lovie instead of a different type of bird (he was really set on a pionus...but there's always time to get more birds in the future :whistle: ) so perhaps I'll go ahead and contact the person advertising the babies. Or maybe I'll sleep on it... I do know I could provide a good, and loving home...I just hope that this will be good for Frodo too. I would love to see her happy with a feathered friend as well as with us. Fingers crossed.

bird-brain
05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Good luck with your decision. Skye and Cabo also play well together and a pionus...well I'd take one :) Oh no I think I have a birdie addiction problem!

Dodo
05-06-2010, 11:48 AM
It turns out we're going away for an upcoming weekend so I'm going to have to postpone calling (family stuff). I wouldn't want to get a new bird baby and then have to unload it right away on my parents (designated bird sitters) along with Frodo...I'm going to contact the person giving away the babies when we get back, and if it's meant to be then perhaps there will still be one available. I'm also wondering about quarantine...our apartment is kind of small and I was thinking of keeping the new bird in our bedroom for the first month...but the room Frodo is usually in is right beside it...I don't know how safe that would be, even with the door kept closed all the time. I might call my vet to find out first...How far apart should birds be kept when one is under quarantine?