PDA

View Full Version : Avian Garage First Foster

shinbatsu
05-07-2010, 11:31 PM
So maya and I started our own website / bird enthusiast group (of only 2 people) called "Avian Garage". We make toys, perches, and do fostering volunteer work.

We got our very first foster, a SDF PF Normal green, and rescued him from a bad situation where he had poor and dirty food, a cage with sharp edges + full of ants, and car exhaust (I'm not kidding) to deal with.

We are actively searching out a new home for him, and are trying to tame him down even a little bit. Using my knowledge gained from this board trying to tame hawk...(see the sticky for newcomers)

1. Will not perch but DID eat millet from hand for 3 seconds.
2. Lured him to finally come out of the cage on his own using BIRD and mika as bait (lovebirds are flock animals after all)
3. Made sure he has clean food, water, and a safe cage to sleep in.

Let's see how it goes. ROUND 2 in taming a wild lovebird.

linda040899
05-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Congratulations on your first rescue bird! Sounds like this one really needed rescuing for sure!

I've said it many times and I will, as the risk of being redundant, say it again. All live creatures will respond to love, kindness and patience. It may take some time, but I think you will be able to win this lovie's trust. :)

bookworm0550
05-08-2010, 07:11 AM
That's awesome of you and Maya. I saw her post that on facebook but didn't have time to respond. Keep us updated. What's the website?

michael
05-08-2010, 09:44 AM
....We got our very first foster, a SDF PF Normal green, and rescued him from a bad situation where he had poor and dirty food, a cage with sharp edges + full of ants, and car exhaust (I'm not kidding) to deal with.......

That was a horrible situation! ....Thank gosh he's now in your garage!

Best wishes and prayers!

Enko_chan
05-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Good for you- and congrats on your first foster!

Goodness, I'd love to do something like that. Let us know how it goes.

shinbatsu
05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
With all the helpful suggestions I learned from this community when dealing with Hawk, I notice that progress comes swiftly. It's currently Day 2.

Strategy is key. F1 (is his temporary name) will not perch....HOWEVER, I baited him out of the cage again using BIRD and mika's chirps, and he ended up leaving the cage. As he climbed around, I simply waited until he ended up in an area where he had no balance, which ended up to the the lower shelf of his cage (it's on a stand). Large holes saw F1 slipping all over. He then jumped to a bunch of towels, and was still not liking it. I got a long perch, then offered it to him slowly, and faced with where he was vs on a perch, he jumped right on!

I slowly took him back to the cage, and let him be. This is major progress for us so I'm going to let him just relax until our next session. I want him to learn that the perch is safe, even with me holding it. This will lead to not having to chase him around to get him back into the cage, and in turn will lead to less stress and more trust.

The website for anyone who wants to check it out, is in my sig below the picture.

personatus
05-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Cool website, very nice! It's personatus though, not personata! :evil::rofl::rotfl (canus/cana, pullarius/pullaria, swindernianus/swindernia) :happy::happy::)

thebubbleking
05-09-2010, 04:32 AM
You still on oahu? if so i may have a home for him

shinbatsu
05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Yes, still on oahu. If you have a potential home, please read the craigslist post first, just to be sure the home is a good fit. Of course we need to meet the potential adopter first.

The link to the ad is on the Avian Garage website along with a way to contact us. Thanks!

shinbatsu
05-27-2010, 12:45 AM
The bird was successfully adopted to a loving home. Good deals all around!

Cool website, very nice! It's personatus though, not personata! :evil::rofl::rotfl (canus/cana, pullarius/pullaria, swindernianus/swindernia) :happy::happy::)

I'll keep that in mind and make the corrections on our next update! Good eye!