PDA

View Full Version : Brave Odinn

Enko_chan
05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Odinn, who has been with me for almost a year and 2 months, is about to turn 2 years old tomorrow.

Most of you already know his background- how he had never been handled and was very fearful of human hands and even recently, despite being a happy companion, required a sleeve over the hands to step up and would still sometimes cower and require coaxing to step up out of the cage...

For the past few weeks, Odinn has been stepping up onto my and Chris's arm as quickly as Freyja, with no hesitation... and for the past few days days, Odinn has been stepping up onto bare hands!

Yay for Odinn!! :happy:

Pips mom
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Awwww, that's awesome! What a good boy Odinn!!

JudiNh
05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Thats wonderful. He knows he can trust you now. GREAT job!!

thebubbleking
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Yay!

michael
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Brave Odinn!......:).....and a smart Odinn too. ...Seems he knows exactly who's hands are worthy of climbing into!..........:D

Enko_chan
05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Its wonderful to see him like this. He's always happy to socialize and explore once he's out, but I worried that he would always fear hands- and as much as he loves Chris and I, he would happily crowd as close as he could get to us through the cage bars and loved spending time on our persons once he got out...

when the cage door opened, he would suddenly cower and hide... would hesitate for a very long time before deciding to step up (or not), and would NEVER step up onto a hand, in fact, if a hand was visible at all- he would not step up.

It took a lot of work and a lot of time to get past this fear. I've had lovebirds in the past that have never gotten over their fear of hands and I thought Odinn would be counted among them, but he's come around just in time for his 2nd hatch day!

Its a joy to open up their cage door and have him hop up on my hand at the same time, right after, sometimes even before Freyja!

The way in which the lovebirds have worked their way into our lives just so is so perfect. They really have found a perfect dynamic in the way they interact with the flock. They're bonded with each other so closely that they keep each other busy and happy- but they still love Chris and I and require our attention, though not so much that they are jealous or feel left out because Chris has to work so much or because I have a lot of work to do or pay more attention to Kokoro and worrying over the parrotlets' budding relationship. They're good friends with Kokoro and have worked out a peaceful distance with the parrotlets- they chatter peacefully from their own territories and stay away from each others' cages- and Freyja even kindly allows Sayuri her exploration when she accidently lands on the lovies' cage. The lovebirds sleep late and thus are quiet in the morning- except Friday mornings, because Friday is their day, and they get excited. Odinn doesn't ever bite, and Freyja only bites when he is in a gender-confused nesty mood. They are all-around, fabulous lovebirds.

I am so very happy that Odinn isn't afraid anymore. I'd always felt upset that Odinn was so stressed by our hands, and his getting past that is a load off! The sight of him hopping onto my fingers and running up my arm is such a joy!

bird-brain
05-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh I am so glad to hear this!:clap:clap