PDA

View Full Version : Wild Senegal loves my Lovebird

nicole22
05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
There's this Senegal that's been coming around for approximately 2 years now.
We think it's a "she" only because we think our lovebird is a "boy" (but can't be 100% sure, we're just guessing)

We call the Senegal "Naughty Bird" because when she first started coming around, she would take toys and break the tops of the hanging toys etc. She once opened the cage door to one of the lovebirds' cage and they flew away (but we later caught them). At that time we had a lovebird called "Umi" and we think "Umi" was a girl, because we've since rehomed "Umi" and she is now having babies. We noticed some aggressive behavior from Naughty Bird (NB) with Umi. "NB" would peck at Umi and go on top of her cage and peck at her.

We now have "Kiwi". "NB" comes every day and will stay by Kiwi's cage for a long time and will allow Kiwi to preen her. When we are late in putting Kiwi in her outside cage, "NB" will wait in the tree and call to him.

I am wondering if we should attempt to try to catch "NB", not to be with Kiwi, but is it okay for her to be without a home? I guess she's doing okay, since she's been hanging around for two years now and she doesn't seem hungry. She once went in the the extra cage we have to play with the toys in there.

When it rains and storms I always think about "NB" and if she's safe. :confused:

I would appreciate your thoughts.

linda040899
05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Personally, I can tell you that Senegal parrots are not native to Hawaii so NB used to be someone's pet (most likely). If she got away, she's learned how to survive outside but if you can give her a good home, that would probably be better for her. She likes Kiwi, so that would be a companion for her, which she's obviously looking for when she drops by your place.

I know the feeling about wondering if a bird is safe during bad weather.

michael
05-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Hi Nicole. ...What an amazing story about NB. ...Someones lost parrot i'm sure, she sounds like a really sweet bird. ... I hope you manage to somehow take her in. ....Glad you shared this with us. ..Very heartwarming indeed!..........:blush:

thebubbleking
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
If you cant take her i will or find her an awsome home.... we have cats mongoose hawaiian hawks and more if you are able to give her a good home i would go for it.

diljaa
05-24-2010, 07:31 PM
She goes inside your home? Is she tame, can you get close to her?

nicole22
05-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Hi all thanks for replying!! So I think the general consensus here is that I should catch NB and give her a home? My thinking all this time is that she is happy to be a "free" bird and since she is taking care of herself, let her be. She indeed was once someone's pet and if so, I'm thinking why did she not return to her home? I guess it's not that plain and simple huh?

So, okay, say I do try to catch NB. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to catch her?

Are you all sure she will be okay being in a cage again?
And, I should not put NB and Kiwi together in the same cage right? It's okay for them to be next to each other, but in different cages?

NB is not tame. She is getting used to us getting a little closer to her, but she definitely keeps her distance. She will only get up close to Kiwi so she can be preened, but thru the bars in Kiwi's cage.

linda040899
05-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi Nicole,
While this Senegal has learned to survive in the wild, she may not be happy about it. She's looking for company and she seems to have reached out to your lovebird for that friendship. There may not be any other parrots around and your lovebird provides something she wants/needs. It can be a lonely world out there when you are by yourself.

This one might be someone's pet or an escaped breeder. Lost birds become disoriented and generally don't return home if they get too far out of range and nothing looks familiar. Homing pigeons instinctively know where "home" is but it's not the same with a parrot that becomes lost.

While NB and Kiwi might not be able to share a cage (who knows), they are feathered company for each other in that they are both Psittacines. That's a common bond that they share and it seems to be important to NB or she wouldn't keep returning. Keeping her in a cage or not would be a personal decision, as it will be a matter of figuring out what's best.

Eliza
05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I would definitely try to catch NB. Yes, Hawaii has a wonderful climate but there are dangers out there for a parrot originally raised in captivity. NBs owners may still be looking for him/her... or if s/he was set loose, s/he deserves to be in a loving home.

If NB is attracted to your lovies, use them to help lure NB into an awaiting cage (obviously with you supervising). Make sure that the lovies are secure in one cage (you can use plastic zip ties to keep doors shut) and put it next to another cage with an open door. Put treats (sunflower seeds, millet, fruit) in the waiting cage... and be patient! You can rig the door so you can pull it shut with string.

I googled "lost parrot" and came up with a few sites that might give you more ideas:

http://www.911parrotalert.com/HelpfulTips.html

http://www.avianlove.com/content.php?content_id=15

http://www.birdsupplies.com/Articles.asp?ID=126

nicole22
05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
okay. I will attempt to catch NB and will keep you all posted.

But in the meantime, I have another dilemna.

Kiwi will be away from home for about 5 days, we are going to be away and Kiwi will be with a friend.

Will NB think she's been deserted? Should I leave Kiwi's outside cage for NB to go in and feel loved?

linda040899
05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Is there a specific time of day that NB comes to see Kiwi? Would your friends be willing to bring Kiwi over to your house for maybe an hour or so if there's a time frame?

nicole22
05-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi! My friend lives far away and I don't think visiting would be an option as our dogs are not friendly to strangers and it will be a work day. :(

nicole22
05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know, I just dropped off Kiwi with my friend and while I was out my family told me that NB had already come by looking for Kiwi. She was on his outside cage and squawking for him :(

linda040899
05-27-2010, 07:57 AM
NB is really going to miss Kiwi! Hopefully, she will continue to return and not get discouraged. :(

jen
05-30-2010, 06:51 AM
oh my! I hope everything works out!

nicole22
06-01-2010, 12:05 AM
we are back, kiwi is back and NB is back.
All is well!!!!

bookworm0550
06-01-2010, 12:30 AM
:) are you going to try to catch NB then? poor nb, he/she must be lonely.

nicole22
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
i want to do whatever is best for NB. I thought letting her be free was the best thing, but after participating in this forum, I think trying to give her a home is the best thing.

We will try to catch her but I am not sure I would be able to care for her. Of course, if we catch her, I will try to care for her, but both my husband and I work and we do have 5 lovebirds and two gouldian finches. Soooo, we'll see.

thebubbleking
06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
God i will probably regret this but tell you what if you cant handle it i might be able to take care of her socialize her and find her a good forever home with other birds, now thats if you dont have the time or ability to take care of her and if she wants company and not just attached to kiwi, let me know via pm ill help it's what i do :) I do have the time room and an extra cage the hardest part for me is not getting so attached i keep them lol

bbslovie
06-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Awww, this story just continues to warm my heart! Let us know what happens with NB! :)

Barb :)

nicole22
06-02-2010, 02:49 AM
hey bubble king: Thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind. I notice you live "close by". hahaha. in the meantime, any ideas on how to get NB to you if it comes to that? Too bad we don't have the ferry any more huh?

thebubbleking
06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
your on an outer island? i'm on oahu... i have friends with boats or could always fly over and get her turn it into a mini vacation let me know whats up i also have familey on other islands so mabey can help that way to where theres a will theres a way!

linda040899
06-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Jeramiah would be a wonderful option for NB but remember that the attraction is Kiwi and there's a friendship there. Kiwi likes NB and NB likes Kiwi. If you can take care of NB and preserve what they both seem to like, that would be the ideal thing. :)

thebubbleking
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Oh i agree i am saying as a last option, lord knows i have enough birds as it is lol

nicole22
06-02-2010, 09:26 PM
for sure only as a last option.
I'm just amazed at how small the world is.
Bubble King is from Oahu and I'm from the Big island, and we meet on
this forum.
We are starting to "furnish" NB's cage with enticing toys so we can attempt to catch her. We will keep you all posted!!!

linda040899
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Jeramiah,
I wouldn't say last option but back up home would work nicely!!! :lol I've taken that position a couple of times and was thankful first option worked out for the best! :rofl:

Chickobee
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Or, another option....

Kiwi AND NB can live with Jeremiah! :rofl:

nicole22
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Chickobee: I thought about that option too, but I don't think my daughter would part with her dear Kiwi, especially if it's on another island. :)

And lol, I thought Jeremiah was Bubble King's bird!!

bookworm0550
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
And lol, I thought Jeremiah was Bubble King's bird!!

:rofl:

Chickobee
06-04-2010, 08:22 AM
If you really decide to catch NB I am thinking it might work to put Kiwi in a small carrier inside a bigger cage outside. NB would surely figure out how to get in and then you could close the door.

That's the part I haven't figured out though, especially since I don't know what sort of cage you are using. I don't know how you would get the door to close quickly and stay closed until it is secured.

I have a friend here at work who is from North Africa. He said they use canaries inside a small cage to lure wild canaries and catch them in big nets. (I agree. It's horrible, but it works, so they do it.)

peteandtilly
06-05-2012, 08:51 PM
just reading some old posts, wonder if NB was ever caught!!

thebubbleking
06-06-2012, 04:27 PM
wondering the same! and i got a idea that works to catch (my friends use it to catch lost partnered fids)