PDA

View Full Version : what does this mean?

Sunnie
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
What does it mean if my bird tucks his feet into his feathers? I have only had him a week but I have noticed that he does nibble at them sometimes too. could his feet be hurting him? should I be worried? :confused:

Gill
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I love it when they do this, they look so cute!

My two do it for two reasons, one if the other has nipped their foot (you should see an injury but not always) and second if theyre relaxing / settling for sleep or just chilling out with some added beak grinding :) My two nibble at their feet too, they are just cleaning/preening them like they do their feathers.

If there is an injury you should see it, does he have trouble walking on it?

Enko_chan
06-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Birds nibble at their feet to clean them, and tuck their feet up into their feathers when they are resting sometimes.

Is there anything else to suggest there is something wrong with your bird?

Sunnie
06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
well I haven't seen anything wrong with his feet, they look okay. I just wasn't sure if it was normal. I also worry about the perches I have in his cage. They are just the ones that came with the cage. I think I need some new ones. Could they be bothering his feet? And if so, is there certain ones that anyone suggests?

Gill
06-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I have a few perches of different textures and width in the cage, they have wood, plastic, rope, textured ones, cement type ones and natural wood, all different sizes, some that spread their feet out and others they have to grip, you need different kinds so their feet have different surfaces to keep them healthy and their nails trim.

If you cant see any injury i imagine it isnt the perches, i think he is just chilling out :)

Enko_chan
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Like Gill said, you definitely need some more perches!

I recommend a sand perch so your bird can trim and clean his toenails and beak, as well as an assortment of other perches like the ones that Gill mentioned above. In the wild, a lovebird's feet would enjoy all sorts of widths, breadths and textures to stretch his feet on and the same should go for the perches in their cage!