PDA

View Full Version : She doesn't like ANYTHING but Carrots!

LoveBird
09-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Martha hates anything but carrots. That's all she eats with her seads. When I am training her to do a trick she never likes a treat. I think she just like to do it because she wants to please me. :D What does anyone else use.
Taylor & Martha

linda040899
09-05-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi Taylor,
Carrots are actually a very good food for Martha to love! According to my avian vet, many birds suffer from Vit A deficiency and suggests carrots at least every other day. I use about 5 lbs each week with my birds!

bellarains
09-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Hey Taylor,

Yup, carrots are good. Martha will eventually try something else, just be persistant and consistent. Don't try to give a variety of things every day, rather give her say brocolli everyday for two weeks. Try it different ways, ie clipped to the cage, in a dish, steamed lightly, or maybe even chopped. My fids prefer most everything clipped to the cage.

I usually give them their fruit and veggie at night, and they get birdie bread in the mornings, but whatever works best for your schedule is what you should do. No fresh foods need to stay in the cage over 2-3 hours though, as bacteria starts to grow after that amount of time.

Keep trying :)

Elle
09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Blu now tries different kind of foods. It took us a few months before getting there. She is still very picky about what goes into her beak.
I made birdie bread this weekend for the first time. I played with the receipe provided in the receipe section. She didn't like blueberries and didn't really like apples. she wouldn't eat them just like that. Those were the main ingrediend in my birdie bread.
well, now, she can't get enough of it. She chomps at the birdie bread like there is no tomorrow. She favors it over nutriberries these days.
Maybe you could make some birdie bread with carrots as main vegetable and add other fruits or veggies in it to give her a taste?
Just a thought :)

LauraO
09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
A great food treat for lovies during training is millet. I've never met a lovie who doesn't love their millet.

To make sure Martha is getting all her veggies, I would make some birdy bread for her. Most lovies like it and it's really good for them.

linda040899
09-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Maybe you could make some birdie bread with carrots as main vegetable
I do this all the time. I alternate between mixed veggies and fresh shredded carrot. I simply make the basic cornbread recipe and fold in a cup of the carrots. My guys love it!!

LauraO
09-05-2005, 04:44 PM
OH! I forgot corn is always a favorite lovie treat too. It's just not all that nutritious.

scottjess
09-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Peachy doenst touch carrot lol, her favourite is millet or apple.

linda040899
09-08-2005, 05:55 PM
If my birds (all of them) think they can play with whatever I want them to eat, it's mission accomplished! :lol I shred fresh carrots so they look like strings. You can believe it catches their attention very quickly.

beansbirds
09-08-2005, 09:24 PM
I also shred just about any vegetable I can. I use a vegetable peeler. They just love long stringy things!

LauraO
09-09-2005, 12:18 AM
ooooooh. A veggie pealer. I never even thought of that :cool:

Paulette
09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
ooooooh. A veggie pealer. I never even thought of that :cool:

LauraO.....this was exactly my thought....and then I read your post....too funny!

It has to be shredded or mine won't even touch it, but I'm definately going to try the veggie peeler!

Z28Taxman
09-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Ditto loves his carrots shredded. I tried sliced ones but he didn't want those. He likes the shredded ones because then he can take them to his boing and hold them with his foot while he eats them (sometimes while hanging upside-down). :cool:

bellarains
09-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Yep,

I use a veggie peeler also. I make them in long thin strips and clip them to the cage, but then again, mine like almost anything clipped to the cage.