PDA

View Full Version : Terminology association for birds?

chinchilla.nikki
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
What does "flatteling" mean? Is there a list of words/terms associated with birds on here for newbies like myself that haven't heard them before?

michael
06-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Appears as though it may be a misspelling of sorts. ...:roll:....Quite common you know........:)........Although you could associate it with sounds. .......Maybe?

linda040899
06-17-2010, 10:42 PM
I think the term you are talking about is "addeling" and it means shaking an egg so that an embryo does not develop inside it. Addeling works with larger eggs but not with small ones, simply because there's not enough material inside of a small egg to shake up effectively. In order to prevent a small parrot egg from developing, boiling it for 2 minutes seems to be the most effective method. A newly laid egg has the potential for an embryo to grow inside but nothing happens until the egg has been incubated for 5-7 days so prevention is not killing a developing embryo. It's simply a preventative to assure that one doesn't develop.

chinchilla.nikki
06-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, what do you think this person is talking about? I want to learn all I can. Is there a terminology list for birds on here? That flatteling word is mentioned. I copied & pasted the info below so you might be able to help me better. Thanks

Well, as some of you know Wiki and Mac have 6 eggs:

http://i42.tinypic.com/95raes.jpg

I´ve just checked them and there´s no one empty
They were very good parents in their first clutch, but there were 5 chicks and one of them was raised for another couple (they couldn´t feed him/her). I really think that they could raise 5 chicks now, but with 6 I´m very scared because of flatteling... Wiki starts to incubate from the first egg, so the babies (the first and the last one) will have a difference of 12 days old.

Is there something that I can do to avoid that danger?

Do you think that it would be a good idea to give the last chick away again to the woman who got the other the last time? She has two nurse pairs, so it would be accepted almost certainly.

personatus
06-21-2010, 03:12 AM
flattening I think. ;)