PDA

View Full Version : The One That Got Away

Enko_chan
06-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I came very close to bringing a lovebird home with me today. It wasn't planned, but this one stole my heart, and I stepped away to think about it, went back for him and just as I went to pick him out, someone else did. I've had a knot in my gut ever since. I've seen a LOT of birds, and many of them have been very cute, some of them have been free with all their stuff, and Chris put his foot down and even though when I was offered to take in someone's lovie not too long ago, and I made a stink about it, he wouldn't let me, there was something in the way I reacted to this bird that knocked him right over... or may be he felt the same way I did... I swear, not since I saw Koko's baby picture did I KNOW this bird HAS to come home with me... and I blew it.

He's an adorable little fischers, a sweet sweet sweet little one, very tame and gentle. I know the breeder too. Ah well. So it goes.

On a less mopey note, I did get a toy for each fid, and saw some friends and some beautiful birds. A pohnpei lorikeet won 1st place in the show, and I think it was the most beautiful bird I have ever seen.

Watching Frey and Odie "play" with their new toy has been funny. They keep poking around it, watching it, and shoving each other toward it! The last time Frey pushed Odie toward it, Odie nipped him and stalked back and hid in their box!

bookworm0550
06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
it's hard walking away. have you ever seen confessions of a shopaholic? there's a scene where she picks up a shoe at a sale and then decides not to get it cuz she's trying not to buy things. as soon as she puts it down, this other lady grabs it and then the main character decides she does want the shoes after all so then they fight over it with the whole, "i saw it first" and "but you put it down" argument. hehe, made me think of that is all :) maybe next time...

Enko_chan
06-26-2010, 06:28 PM
aww, I'm not much of a shopper and its rare that I want something like this! When I saw that he was going, I actually spoke to the person who was buying him for a few minutes... and he's going to a place where he'll be well loved, with an experienced fidma, so I was satisfied with that. (Hehe, not that I could have taken the bird from her if she'd been awful, but I'm glad she was nice and knew a lot about birds!)

It was just strange of all the birds I see, this one little guy... there was just something about him!

CompassionAk
06-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Did you get any pics of the Lori? I tried to looks some up and the ones I am seeing are all poor quality. I'd love to see pics if you got any!

HaleBoppPeachyluv
06-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I had a moment like that... a cutie of a black-masked. He was little and alone in his cage and looked sooo sweet and adorable. I was tempted to bring him home as a companion for Sunny, but my hubby is adamant about being a one-lovie household.

Normally i'm fine with that, but now that we have a baby it's harder and harder to have outside-cage time to play with her. Especially for me since sunny loves my husband and will look for him if i take her out.

Enko_chan
06-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Maybe that was part of it, too- he was alone, the only lovebird in the breeder had. It was also the very end of the day and he had a big old "BEST OFFER" tag on him! I have a feeling all his brothers and sisters went that day and he was the only one left. My family has bought birds from her before, and known her a long time- its not like we couldn't get another of this mutation from her again... but it was just a fleeting moment... just this bird.

and about the lori ... no, unfortunately I did not think to bring a camera! I am kicking myself now because I spoke with a few people and they said that the person who entered him was the only person they know of who has them and they couldn't afford one if they wanted them... I tried finding a decent pic of one to post, too and they're all blurry shots of the same one. I might be tempted to say that this guy won only because he was rare- as the other birds who placed were perfect- but he was a magnificent specimen too!

We had a bit of a fiasco getting there. The directions we got were botched- plus there were NO street signs once we got into Rhode Island and 2 different Diamond Hill Roads! (We literally had to keep stopping at businesses and googling the names to see where we were, saw we were on diamond hill road- lo and behold, there is no location that we're looking for!) Thank you google maps. They said 48 mins, but really- we were about 5 minutes away in 30 minutes- the place was .2 miles inside RI, and drove all over creation for an hour searching for it.

Eliza
07-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Oh, do I know that feeling...

Shortly before Beetle died I had a deposit down with Beetle's breeder for one of two masked babies: a DD or a DD dilute. I was 99.99% sure that I was going to get the DD (who, of course, would have to be named Cricket) but then the bosses (also my landlords) indicated that there might lay-offs. I just didn't feel right bringing another creature into my home knowing that there was a chance that I could lose my job. In hindsight, I kind of wish that I had gotten the lovie as Beetle died only a few months later. He ended up staying with Beetle's breeder to go into her breeding program.

I know it stings to say no. And it's hard not to ponder the "what-ifs" and "maybe-I-should-haves"...