PDA

View Full Version : new lovebird

micheleh
07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
I would like some advise on getting a second lovebird. The lovebird I have, Rocky, is sooo sweet. I've had him since Feb. and he has never bitten me once! He loves to be held and cuddled. I would love to get a female lovebird but my only hesitation is that she will change Rocky's sweet personality. For those of you who have more than one bird, did your first bird change when you added a second? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

linda040899
07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
If you are considering getting a second lovebird and you are sure that Rocky is a male, I would strongly suggest another male. Male x female = offspring (or at least thoughts about offspring) and 2 males can be very happy campers together!

How sweet and tame Rocky remains will be strictly dependent on you. Keep up the attention level and your relationship should not change. A companion will give Rocky company when you can't be there, like when he goes to sleep or you are not home. Rocky would gain a friend and you would gain another avian buddy. :)

If you are going to look for a male, make sure you DNA sex to make sure. Pelvic sexing is merely a guess and there's only a 50% chance of being correct. Some breeders set up pairs so the babies can be genetically sexed. That would work, too. New bird would need to be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days.

Dave_K.
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Our males have all stayed as nice as they ever were when they were babies even when paired with a female. We have five pairs that are male/female and three of the pairs have produced lots of babies for us. The males even during this time are just as nice as ever. It is the females that go thru such drastic changes, and that is only a general rule as I can reach right into the nest on one of them and she is just fine with it. The ones who are not fine with that have drawn blood on more than one occation.

We also have a pair of males that live together and do just fine with one another. They preen each other as nessessary and perch together part of the time and seperate on other nights. Both are tame and friendly.

Hope this helps,
Dave

bookworm0550
07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
even after 7 birds, joey is still his old sweet self. i find that my males tend to stay at the same temperment. my girls have their mood swings, but as a woman, i totally get it. are you sure rocky is really a boy?

Pips mom
07-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Pip may not have a lovie girlfriend, but he has Ivy and over the time they've had being together, I think Pip has actually become friendlier and happier!

micheleh
07-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Yes, Rocky is definately a boy, I had a DNA test just to be sure. I wouldn't mind babies, in the future.

linda040899
07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't mind babies, in the future. That being the case, you could get a male or a female. Just be aware that a clutch could increase the number of your lovebirds by anywhere from 1-6, depending on fertility of the eggs. :)

LauraO
07-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I agree with others. Lovies in pairs can be just as social and loving as they are as singles. The key is to continue socialization with both birds as much as possible. I will also say tamer lovies in a flock help more timid or frighten birds tame down quite a bit.

Some important things to remember and think about are 1) if you get a second lovie you will need to have at least a 30 day quarantine, 2) the new lovie will need it's own cage and once quarantine is over you can set the cages side by side so the birdies can get to know each other, 3) always assume the lovies will not pair up cause they are like humans and have opinions about who they want to spend their life with and Rocky may even get mean and jealous, 4) try and get a lovie close to the age of your existing lovie with a similiar disposition. It's a fallacy that all females are mean and nesty. I have several who are quite the opposite, 5) not all birds are sweet like Rocky so make sure you are prepared for nasty bites and a destruction at the very least, 6) Please consider there are way tooooooo many birds in the world that end up with bad homes and not treated like they should. So breeding birds, even once, adds to the overflow of birds as well as creating potential health risks that can become emotionally and financially difficult.

I guess the only other question is why would you want another lovie? It sounds like you and Rocky are getting along great especially if you are able to integrate him into your life on a daily basis.