PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining DevilDove

devildove
08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi All,

Love this forum, thanks for all the great threads and advice!

I am writing about Dovey, a 3 month old Blue Fischer. Don't know the sex yet. In the last month, Dovey has gone from handfed sweet babyness to an incredibly active, nibbling, bird terrorist (devildove). Today he has been obsessed with chasing the cockatiels (no fighting, just chasing), has ripped two keys off my computer, is constantly trying to climb on me so he can grab my glasses, pull my hair, nibble on ANYTHING on my face, etc.

He has a huge play area with swings, rope perches, toys, paper to shred, boxes to hide in, lots of greens and other foods to eat besides seed and pellet etc (not to mention the fact that he also entertains himself constantly with the oh so patient tiels). I am trying to train him not to nibble ("No Bite"), and also that when he starts to get out of hand with me he has a time out in his cage.

Any other suggestions on how to keep this active little bird busy?

Thanks!

One bird for one heart.
08-23-2010, 02:06 PM
First off Welcome to the Community! I know that when birds are young they go through a "nippy" stage. This could all be because he is still young. I'm not sure but I think that could what is going on. I'm sure someone will be able to give you better advice!

devildove
08-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks. Yes, the nibbling "testing" does remind me of a puppy that is teething. Actually, the keyboard chewing incident reminds me of that old excuse "my dog ate my homework". Only I had to tell my boss (I work from home) "My Lovebird at my computer".

One bird for one heart.
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Well the chewing of the computer problery won't go away, I know several people know that lovies love the computer! Its warm and typing fingers are just so entertaining! I'm 13 and I have my lovie out when I am doing my homework and I have had to tell my teacher several times "my lovebird ate my homework!'

Raindroponthrose
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi All,

Love this forum, thanks for all the great threads and advice!

I am writing about Dovey, a 3 month old Blue Fischer. Don't know the sex yet. In the last month, Dovey has gone from handfed sweet babyness to an incredibly active, nibbling, bird terrorist (devildove). Today he has been obsessed with chasing the cockatiels (no fighting, just chasing), has ripped two keys off my computer, is constantly trying to climb on me so he can grab my glasses, pull my hair, nibble on ANYTHING on my face, etc.

He has a huge play area with swings, rope perches, toys, paper to shred, boxes to hide in, lots of greens and other foods to eat besides seed and pellet etc (not to mention the fact that he also entertains himself constantly with the oh so patient tiels). I am trying to train him not to nibble ("No Bite"), and also that when he starts to get out of hand with me he has a time out in his cage.

Any other suggestions on how to keep this active little bird busy?

Thanks!

Well don't know what else to give him to do,because obviously he finds himself lots to do :) but maybe you can give me advice how to put active bird in a cage for that little break called-time out!? :)

Chickobee
08-24-2010, 12:58 PM
:2cents:
Putting your bird in the cage for a time-out can backfire on you. For instance, if you put your bird into the cage when it bites it will learn to bite you when it wants to go back into it's cage.

Also, if the cage is used as a punishment, which is a concept that birds don't understand, you may have increased difficulty returning your bird to it's cage when you want to.

The cage is your bird's home and a place where it should feel safe and happy because that is where it lives and spends a lot of time.

We let all of our birds out to play together when we get home from work. Then when it is time to go back into cages there are some stubborn little lovies who would rather stay out to play and socialize. They will do as you say--fly away when we head for the cage--if we are not holding onto them. We have two birds who are not yet tame so for weeks we have had to catch them with the bird net. (Yes, that's right.)

They have both learned to step up when we work with them but won't do it when it is time to go back into their cages. We developed a routine where we would follow them around the room to the corner by our bedroom. Then they would stop and wait for us to put the net over them! How funny is that? Silly lovies!

They are both getting better now with the step ups so the little male will usually step up for Dave and the hen will let me catch her by doing a reluctant step up onto one hand if it looks like I'm going to grab her. Hopefully soon they will both realize that going into cages is inevitable at bedtime.

When the days are shorter in the fall this won't still be an issue because they all seem to want to go home when it starts getting dark.

Loupigs
08-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Dovey has gone from handfed sweet babyness to an incredibly active, nibbling, bird terrorist (devildove). Today he has been obsessed with chasing the cockatiels (no fighting, just chasing), has ripped two keys off my computer, is constantly trying to climb on me so he can grab my glasses, pull my hair, nibble on ANYTHING on my face, etc!

Haha, that sounds soooo familiar! I'm starting not to worry about Tarquin's nuts behaviour so much if everyone seems to have a similar experience at this age with their lovies. Phew.

devildove
08-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Haha, that sounds soooo familiar! I'm starting not to worry about Tarquin's nuts behaviour so much if everyone seems to have a similar experience at this age with their lovies. Phew.

Yep. But, there is a silver lining....he is starting to understand the "no" command! In the past two days when I say no, he stops. Especially with the nibling/gentle bites. He immediately stops, looks at me, and then redirects his attention to something other than my fingers, nose, ears, or whatever other thing is the latest object of desire. So there is hope!

devildove
08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
:2cents:
Putting your bird in the cage for a time-out can backfire on you. For instance, if you put your bird into the cage when it bites it will learn to bite you when it wants to go back into it's cage.

Also, if the cage is used as a punishment, which is a concept that birds don't understand, you may have increased difficulty returning your bird to it's cage when you want to.

The cage is your bird's home and a place where it should feel safe and happy because that is where it lives and spends a lot of time.

We let all of our birds out to play together when we get home from work. Then when it is time to go back into cages there are some stubborn little lovies who would rather stay out to play and socialize. They will do as you say--fly away when we head for the cage--if we are not holding onto them. We have two birds who are not yet tame so for weeks we have had to catch them with the bird net. (Yes, that's right.)

They have both learned to step up when we work with them but won't do it when it is time to go back into their cages. We developed a routine where we would follow them around the room to the corner by our bedroom. Then they would stop and wait for us to put the net over them! How funny is that? Silly lovies!

They are both getting better now with the step ups so the little male will usually step up for Dave and the hen will let me catch her by doing a reluctant step up onto one hand if it looks like I'm going to grab her. Hopefully soon they will both realize that going into cages is inevitable at bedtime.

When the days are shorter in the fall this won't still be an issue because they all seem to want to go home when it starts getting dark.

Good point about the home. I'll try something other than the cage area (mostly I was just setting him on the top of the cage) but I do think that it is important to intervene when the bad behavior starts by either redirecting or moving the lovie to some other area so they get the point that what they are doing is not okay....