PDA

View Full Version : Odd behavior? And how do I tame him?

i♥birds
08-28-2010, 07:03 PM
So I got my lovebird yesturday. He is still afraid of us. I know with birds you just have to be patient but is there any quick way to tame him? Also he climbs around on the cage walls alot. He'll start and won't stop for several minutes. Does this mean he wants out? I let him out once today, but I don't want to let him out to much just yet since he is not comfortable with us and still new. Also his wings aren't clipped yet, so gettting him back in took about an hour.

Pips mom
08-28-2010, 09:32 PM
You should get his wings clipped......it's better to go through being held down once for a quick clip, than to be chased around for an hour!

i♥birds
08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
You should get his wings clipped......it's better to go through being held down once for a quick clip, than to be chased around for an hour!

You only have to clip them once?? When do they grow back?

LauraO
08-29-2010, 11:38 AM
You only have to clip them once?? When do they grow back?

I think what Pip's mom means is that clipping will alleviate having to chase your lovie around, because it's really really difficult to build a relationship with a lovie doing this. Essentially all the progress you've made is lost everytime you have to chase them around. If you clip their flight feathers then you can teach them to step up on a dowel or hand to move them around, interacting with them without grabbing them. The key is to NOT touch lovies unless you have to, or they are not afraid of hands. In fact, I rarely start with step ups on the hand, and use a dowel instead.

Flight feathers grow back, and clips are something you have to get done regularly. The amount of time for feathers to grow back is dependent on the bird and time of year you clip. Feathers grow back once the bird molts. So you just have to keep an eye on the growth of the flight feathers and clip accordingly........I usually clip 4 or 5 flight feathers. This allows the bird to have some ability to fly and land softly if need be.

If you have other lovies who are flighted, you will have to keep an eye on the clipped lovie. Flighted lovies are more aggressive and bullish and will pick on a non-flighted lovie.

BTW, NO! There is no quick or easy way to build a relationship with a lovie:omg:. Patience and consistency is the only way. Every lovie is different. Some tame down quickly, some never do no matter how patient we are. The key is to get to know your new lovie and let them tell you what they are comfortable with.

Good Luck :):)

i♥birds
08-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Ok. I will get his wings clipped before I let him out. I was just wondering about a quicker way to taming becuase there is actually a birds site that I signed up for and they send you a bunch of videos and adive on birds. And the guy who was doing it had his bird tamed in a day. So I was wondering how many other ways besides his were there.

Pips mom
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
And the guy who was doing it had his bird tamed in a day. So I was wondering how many other ways besides his were there.

Don't believe everything you see! You don't just tame a bird in a day! when clipping, make sure the clip isn't too much so he can still fly some, just not gain height, about five flight feathers is good.

Raindroponthrose
08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Ok. I will get his wings clipped before I let him out. I was just wondering about a quicker way to taming becuase there is actually a birds site that I signed up for and they send you a bunch of videos and adive on birds. And the guy who was doing it had his bird tamed in a day. So I was wondering how many other ways besides his were there.

Did you post pics just recently on another budgie site??? Your lovie looks familiar! And no-THERE'S NO WAY YOU CAN TAME LOVIE IN A DAY!!! I have two-one wild even after almost two mos with me every day,whole day-still runs away in a cage,but at least would let me give her seeds with my hand,but if I want to stroke her,she'll bite,AND SHE'LL BITE A LOT!!!A nd the other one,hand feed,tamed,which if put in a cage with untamed act same as her and need time off to get back to normal :) Lovies,if you tame them and don't interract with them for a short time,will go wild in no time...I guess we could call that,downside of a lovebird.But if tamed,they are just so cute-today Blue attacked my sandwich,he was all over me to get sandwich,hahahaha...but I cannot let him go back to Cookies cage because for next two days he is wild!!!