PDA

View Full Version : Good Or Bad??!?!?! First time together!

SprinklesMama1990
10-01-2010, 03:11 PM
So I brought my two lovebirds out for the first time together today.

So At first they were standing beak to beak chirping at each other. But then they started opening they beaks up at each other and like biting each others beaks it looked like. I let them do it a couple times but then I stopped it.

Then this frightened me. My sprinkles - who I've had 7 months and is 8 months old spread her feathers out and then my baby - Starburst who is 2 months old climbed on top of her but then it looked like he was going to bite down on her neck! Sprinkles wasn't trying to get away though! But I broke it up anyway cause I was nervous.

Are these good or bad things. I'm thinking that they can't be good. I can't find anything online about the beak behavior!

linda040899
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I've seen beak "fencing" between 2 lovebirds that are just introduced and it usually doesn't last long. If they like each other, the next thing they will try to do is feed each other. That's how birds show affection. I think I would have watched a bit longer, as long as no one was obviously getting injured. I wouldn't turn my back, and assume that they will be OK together. Sprinkles could easily injure Starburst but I'm not getting that feeling from what you've written.

As for spreading of wings and Starbust climbing on top, that's a mating thing but Starburst is about 4 months of being sexually mature so his/her part in this was just a type of playing. He/she is not capable of satisfying a mature female and that could frustrate a mature hen. Sprinkles could easily be a hen.....

You are right to be cautious, as one could injure the other but I really don't get that feeling, not from what you've described.

SprinklesMama1990
10-02-2010, 03:50 PM
So this is a video of the two babies interacting

SprinklesMama1990
10-02-2010, 03:51 PM
oops here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkfh54m10Nc

linda040899
10-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't see anything bad in that interaction. I see Sprinkles becoming a bit protective of Starburst but it sure looks like they like each other. :)

bird-brain
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Oh they are getting along wonderfully! "Don't touch my friend mommy!" It didn't take long for Sprinkles to decide that Starburst his her birdie. Very cute video. Sometimes when they preen each other it can look down right scary and if one of them pulls a pin a little too hard the other bird will correct them. That is normal and likely will not lead to blood. I think you are well on your way to a bonded pair of friends. Congratulations!

wilkiecoco
10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
They are adorable - looks to me like they are going to be good friends!! great start!! :)

Chickobee
10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Your birds most definitely like each other. They can't preen the feathers on their own heads so they do it for each other and it's so cute. This is a very good sign.

With two birds you will find that they prefer to be together all the time. Our bonded pairs come out to play together and when we try to play with one and leave the other in the cage they constantly make contact calls to each other.

None of our birds are as tame as a single bird would be because they definitely want to be together as a flock and prefer their feathered friends to people. But, I love watching the pairs together. We can never give them the undivided attention that they get from their mates.