PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Mummieeva
09-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I was doing my daily search of pet rescues last night. Whec I came across someone who is offering a Quaker for adoption. I am in Georgia and it is against the law here. It is the same lady who gave me Kiowa and Baggy. I wrote her a e-mail saying I was not sure if she knew or not but that it was a no-no. Did I do the right thing? :confused: She did not answer and the bird is still listed. I feel badly like maybe i was to nosey.

Steph

Janie
09-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Steph, personally, I think you did the right thing in letting her know, just in case she is unaware of the GA laws regarding Quakers. I've often wondered what would happen if I got one (I'm in GA) and then took it to my avian vet to be checked. Would she turn me in or do a vet check on it and not say anything????? Anyway, I think it's nonsense that we can't have them here.

beansbirds
09-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi guys....

Just wondering, why can't you have Quakers in Georgia? :confused:

Rubygem
09-11-2005, 07:45 PM
By law your vet has to ask you to show a permit to own the Quaker, and if you do not have the permit then they are to confiscate it. The reason that Quakers are not allowed in Georgia and many other states, is because if they get lose they can multiply and cause a lot of damage to the crops, and this State is a major crop state still. There are breeders or bird owners that have the special permits to be able to own Quakers in this state, but it cost $$ and it has to be renewed every year. They can own – breed, and sell as long as they do not sell it to anyone that lives in our state.

What really sucks about it being illegal here is the fact that the states around us are allowed to have them. But Georgia means business when they say not to have Quakers in our state, as someone from FL brought them up for the Bird Fair in April, and the department of Agriculture almost shut them down. (yeap the same lady that sold me those “proven” lovies .. yeah right) You can have the Quakers in your possession while passing through GA, but you can not have them in the state longer than 24 hours. (I’m trying to figure out how the Dep of Ag would know)

Rubygem

bellarains
09-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Steph,

You might double check the GA law. Some states allow you to have a quaker only if there is no breeding. I read this somewhere, but couldn't tell you where to save my life.

Are you interested in this Quaker?????

Mummieeva
09-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Nope not going to adopt it. I look there mainly so i can dream about getting more birds..lol. Plus it is 120 dollars and that is just for the bird I belive. I am terrible at on-line searches and only thing i found is what Ruby said about special permit needed. The lady was very nice and loved Baggy and Kiowa. I just wanted to make sure she did not get in alot of trouble. She runs a Pit-bull rescue and I hate her to get in alot of trouble. I am sticking with lovies(and maybe budgies..lol).TY all for helping me feel less guilty about this.

Steph

Rubygem
09-11-2005, 08:41 PM
In BirdTalk, the May 2005 issue, there is a list of which states allow and don't allow Quakers. It's on page 50.

"Quakers have been outlawed or severely restricted in 12 states, mainly because they are preceived as a threat to agriculture and have the ability to adapt and flourish in the wild."

"Georgia: Prohibited as pets. Considered "wild animal." Breeding allowed with breeder's license ($236 annually) if bred for wholesale exportation. Transport across state lines is legal; no notice required if travel through Georgia is less than 24 hours duration. "

The list was compiled by the Quaker Parakeet Society - http://qp-society.com/

Rubygem

LauraO
09-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Steph: I think you did the right thing because you were not passing judgement, turning her in or anything. You were just passing along information she may not have.......

Quakers are illegal in Hawaii and after seeing a news show where a flock of Quakers mulitplied and took over an entire block somewhere in Florida I don't mind that they are illegal. There are plenty of other parrots/birds that are perfectly legal that I'd love to have in my life.

Janie
09-12-2005, 06:16 AM
Ruby, thanks for that information about what a vet would do IF (I stress the "if" cause I do NOT have one, :lol) I took one in. I knew they were illegal here and why. I also read that list in BirdTalk. Holy Moly, I can't believe someone one was crazy enough to take them to a GA show. :omg:

Z28Taxman
09-12-2005, 01:46 PM
It could be worse. Get caught with one in Pa and it's a goner :(

Pennsylvania -Illegal to own or sell; no exceptions (will euthanize)

even though there are wild ones pretty much surroinding the state, Delaware, new jersey, and new york. As well as Connecticut and Rhode Island.

LoveBugs
09-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I personally think it's nonsense...

And as with the permit thingie.. I think it's nonsense too. Did you know that in the state of NJ you need a license for ANY exotic animals INCLUDING lovies??

I thought it was a bunch of BS because for $20 bucks a year you get to register the bird. What service does it provide? Well, in my opinion none, but they told me that the agency that is responsible for animals, are not responsible for exotics, and the funding goes to them....

Also, you're not allowed to have more than a certain number of birds in your house... I'm not sure how many... but its somewhere along the line of like 6 I THINK... Otherwise, you're cosidered by the state as a breeder, and need a special permit for breeding exotics as well...

I was told all this when I purchased my lovies from PetSmart...where they give you a temporary permit for your birdie that is good for 10 days, but you had to basically pay for and send in the registration form for the permit....

Did I do it?

No.... the 20$ went towards their first check up instead....

lol... Who, I might add... didn't even mention a permit...

I don't think many people do know that it is required in NJ at least to have a permit....

Sorry for rambling...

Kinda bored watching tv and my lovie is tired of me harrassing them since 8am, so their each doing their favorite passtime: Lily on her window boing, chirping at the outdoor birdies... and PP on her swing in her cage, shredding her pinata.